The wooden snap mouse trap can be purchased wherever hardware is sold. It is the standard for controlling mouse problems in the home where poisons threaten pets and children. A variety of companies make wooden mouse traps; however, the design and setting of them is basically the same. A wooden base, coilspring, bait pan, trigger and jaw make up the trap. Bait is placed on the bait pan to attract the mouse to the trap. The mouse attempts to take the bait which springs the trap, snapping the jaw on the mouse and killing it instantly.
Things You'll Need
- Wooden mouse trap
Place bait on the trap pan before setting the trap. A smear of peanut butter on the pan acts as effective mouse bait.
Hold the trap in your two hands so the wire trigger attached to the wooden base faces you.
Flip the trigger wire backward off of the base and pull the wire jaw back toward you. Hold the jaw down on the base with one thumb.
Bring the wire trigger over the jaw with your other hand and hook the curved end of the trigger under the protruding edge of the bait pan. Lift the pan up with the trigger wire and hold it in place while slowly lifting your thumb off the jaw. The tension of the jaw pushing up against the trigger wire will hold the pan up and keep the trap set.
Place the trap under a sink or against a wall where mice travel in a position that allows them access to the bait pan.
Tips & Warnings
- When placing the set trap, hold it by the edge of the base on the end opposite the bait pan in case the trap goes off so it won't snap your fingers.
- If the trigger and pan refuse to set or keep slipping and prematurely snapping, the trap is worn out. Throw the trap away and replace it with a new one.
- Keep the trap out of the reach of children. The trap can deliver a bruising snap to children's fingers.
- Never try to bait a set trap; always bait the trap prior to setting.
- Photo Credit Photodisc/Photodisc/Getty Images
Instructions for the Mouse Trap Board Game
Mousetrap is a classic board game that has been enjoyed by kids (and the young at heart) for many years. This game,...