A hot, steamy shower can feel soothing on your muscles after a hard day's work or it can warm the body after playing outside in the snow. In fact, according to the University of Rochester, steam from a hot, steamy shower is a great remedy for a minor sore throat. Additionally, the University of Maryland Medical Center reports that steamy showers are excellent home remedies for the treatment of non-aggressive cases of sinusitis. The next time you're feeling under the weather, consider enjoying a hot, steamy shower.
Increase the heat in the house to raise the bathroom's ambient temperature. This help to stop the dissipation of the steam.
Close any windows and doors to keep the bathroom enclosed as much as possible. Do not turn on the bathroom's fan.
Point the shower head away from you.
Turn the shower onto the hottest setting and let it run until you can see steam accumulating.
Turn the water's temperature down so that you can get into the shower.
Get into the shower and increase the temperature as your body adapts to the current settings. Continue raising the water's temperature level until the water gets is almost too hot; enjoy your shower.
Tips & Warnings
- According to Ohio State University Medical Center, it is not a good idea to take hot, steamy showers after heart or lung surgeries, because they can make you feel lightheaded and may cause fainting.
- The Western Beauty Institute recommends against hot showers because they can dry out the skin and hair by removing necessary moisturizing agents.
- University of Rochester: Sore Throat
- University of Maryland Medical Center; Sinusitis-Treatment; Harvey Simon, MD; May 19, 2009
- Ohio State University Medical Center; Home Care after Your Lung Surgery; July 2001
- Ohio State University Medical Center; Home Care after Your Heart Surgery; March 5, 2007
- Western Beauty Institute; WBI Tips from the Experts; March 17, 2011
- Photo Credit Jupiterimages/Photos.com/Getty Images
How Hot Should a Steam Room Be?
These days, most health clubs and fitness centers have steam rooms. There are even some models that are specifically designed for home...