When celebrating a birthday, anniversary of adoption or other major event with your cat, making a "cake" is a special treat for your feline friend. While your cat enjoys the cat cake you made, provide cupcakes for the humans in your household so everyone can enjoy the party.
Things You'll Need
- 1 can unsalted sardines in spring water
- 1/2 oz. crab meat
- 1/2 tsp. fish oil
- 1 sheet nori
- 1/4 oz. bonito flakes
- Sushi knife
Open the sardine can and select a single sardine. If not filleted, remove the head and tail from the sardine. Place sardine in mixing bowl and separate into small flakes with a fork. Separate crab meat into small pieces with your hands and mix with the sardine.
Drizzle fish oil over the mix. Fold in bonito flakes, and mix well.
Pick up mixture with clean hands and roll into a ball. Press ball onto a small plate and form a round cake shape with a flat top. Wash and dry hands before handling nori.
Lay the sheet of nori -- Japanese toasted seaweed, used most often to make sushi -- on a cutting board. With a sharp knife, cut thin strips or tiny shapes in the sheet using the part of the blade close to the tip. Cut slowly so as not to tear the nori.
Use the strips of nori to decorate the cake or wrap a strip around its circumference to hold the treat inside, and serve to your waiting cat.
Tips & Warnings
- For cats with fish allergies, replace seafood with novel meats such as ground lamb, finely sliced venison, shredded rabbit or ground nutria.
- Prepare the cake ahead of time and store covered in the refrigerator if you intend to throw a party in your cat's honor.
- Make one cake per cat in multiple cat households; one large cake will be difficult for the cats to eat and can cause competition, spoiling the fun for everyone.
- Do not add dairy, salt or onion to your cat's cake; these are dangerous for felines.
- Avoid sardines intended for humans, which have added salt and are often packed in oil.
- Photo Credit Ryan McVay/Valueline/Getty Images
How to Make a Cat Costume
Making a cat costume takes a short time and soon you will add some feline fun to any festivity. Follow these steps...
How to Make a Cat Shaped Birthday Cake
Translating the cat's graceful physique into birthday cake form takes a little planning, but it can be done with even the most...