When chocolate ends up on your polyester garment, remove it carefully to prevent damage to the synthetic fibers. The combination of protein and pigment can be absorbed into the fibers to make a thick, smelly stain. When tended to with the right cleaning methods and supplies, you can remove chocolate stains from the surface and fibers of the polyester garment and leave no telltale signs behind to remind you of the spill.
Things You'll Need
- Prewash stain remover
- Laundry detergent
- Oxygen bleach
- Dry cleaning solvent
- Paper towels
Scrape the chocolate off the polyester with a spoon. Remove as much of the chocolate as possible so you can concentrate on removing the rest of the stain from the fibers.
Rub prewash stain remover on the remaining chocolate stain. Allow the stain remover to soak into the fabric for 10 minutes to loosen the stain. Rinse the polyester fabric under cold water.
Launder the polyester garment in the washing machine with warm water, laundry detergent and oxygen bleach to remove remaining chocolate stains.
Check the garment after removing it from the washing machine to see if any chocolate stain remains. Treat remaining stains with dry cleaning solvent. Blot the backside of the stained fabric with a paper towel dampened with dry cleaning solvent. Allow the fabric to dry, rinse it off and launder again.
Tips & Warnings
- After removing a fresh chocolate spill, rinse the fabric with cool water to flush the remaining chocolate stain.
- Treat a chocolate stain promptly to prevent it from becoming permanent.
- Soak chocolate-stained polyester in a bucket with liquid stain remover to lift the stain.
- Polyester fabric is prone to shrinkage, melting or permanent wrinkling when exposed to heat from a dryer or iron. Use care when removing stains and laundering polyester garments.
- Photo Credit Jupiterimages/Photos.com/Getty Images
How to Get Butter Stains Out of Clothing
Removing a butter stain can be quite a bit more tricky than removing other types of stains as most laundry products were...
How to Clean Cotton & Polyester Blends
Cotton and polyester blended material is, by nature, strong and durable. The only serious problem that you may have with these materials...
How to Get Chocolate Out of Upholstery
Seeing a blob of chocolate on your upholstery can quickly send you into a panic. Whether your two-year-old sat a chocolate bar...