The Acme Terra Cotta Garlic Baker is made of a porous clay and the top is unglazed inside and out, allowing it to "breathe" during cooking so that the garlic stays moist and comes out well-cooked. You can bake garlic easily in the oven or, if you're in a hurry, you can even use your garlic baker in the microwave.
Things You'll Need
- Acme Terra Cotta Garlic Baker
- Warm water
- Cool water
- 1 head of garlic
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- Small knife
- Small fork
Wash the garlic baker in warm water without soap and allow it to air dry before using it for the first time. Soak the dome of the baker in some cool water while you are preparing the garlic -- that will help keep the garlic moist while it is baking.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Remove excess skin from a head of garlic, but leave the head intact. Slice off the top 1/4 inch of the head to expose the tops of each clove.
Place the garlic on the flat-bottom plate of the garlic baker. Drizzle it with 1 tbsp. of olive oil. Place the dome-shaped top of the garlic baker over the garlic.
Put the garlic baker in the oven and roast it for 45 minutes. If using a microwave, roast the garlic for about 1 minute.
When it is cooked, allow the garlic to cool enough so that you can handle it without burning yourself.
Use a small knife to cut the skin gently around each clove. Use a small fork or your fingers to pull or squeeze the roasted garlic cloves so that they will easily pop out of their skins. Eat as is or spread over warm French bread, mix with sour cream for a topping for baked potatoes, or mix with vinegar and oil for a zesty salad dressing.
Tips & Warnings
- When baking garlic in the microwave, you may need to experiment with the timing.
- The only part of the garlic baker that should ever be washed with soap is the glazed bottom plate.
- Terra cotta garlic bakers are not dishwasher safe, so always wash them by hand.
- In some microwaves, garlic will burn if baked for more than 1 minute and create a strong-smelling smoke that is difficult to get rid of.
- Photo Credit David Silverman/Getty Images News/Getty Images
Where Can I Get Free Driving Directions?
Getting free driving directions is easier than ever in the age of the Internet and satellites. As well, mobile Internet makes traveling...
How to Bake in Terra Cotta
Not all terra cotta is created equally, especially when it comes to baking foods in terra cotta pots. Flowerpots or other clay...