How to Reinstate a Passport

As of 2010, passports are now needed to enter all foreign nations in the western hemisphere, including Canada and Mexico.
As of 2010, passports are now needed to enter all foreign nations in the western hemisphere, including Canada and Mexico. (Image: Jupiterimages/Comstock/Getty Images)

Passports in the United States are issued to individual citizens upon successful completion of the application process. Requirements for applying adults include presentation of valid birth certificate, proof of US citizenship (if not provided by birth certificate) proof of identity, two color photos and monetary funds to cover the cost of application. Those who have had their passport lost, stolen or revoked by a US court can usually obtain a replacement through an US embassy or passport office.

Things You'll Need

  • your old passport
  • birth certificate
  • proof of identity
  • passport photographs

Passport Revoked

Determine why your passport has been revoked. Prospective foreign travelers should keep in mind that passports function as an identification and not as a statement of character. In fact, someone who has been convicted of a felony may be eligible for a passport after the prison term has been served, unless parole or release terms deny foreign travel. However, a passport may be revoked or not renewed if the individual is convicted of treason or crossing an international border to commit a crime. One of the most common reasons a passport is revoked concerns financial matters, including government loans and custody payments. In these cases, reinstatement of your passport can be done in a straightforward manner.

Obtain a financial statement explaining why your passport is being revoked.

Proceed to the court or municipal office, where the decision was made and pay the bill. Total payment is not usually necessary, but in most cases the bill must be reduced to less than $5,000.

Expired Passports.

Go to your post office or local passport office and obtain a form for acquiring a new passport. This is only necessary if your passport has been expired for for more than five years. If the expiration period is less than five years, you can use your old passport for your renewal and form DS-82.

Fill out the form. This will require passport photo, proof of identity, birth certificate or proof of citizenship, plus the fee of $170.

Submit application to the passport office directly or through the US Mail.

Tips & Warnings

  • If your passport is lost or stolen during foreign travel, report the loss to the nearest US Embassy as soon as possible.
  • Passports should not be used to conduct illegal activity.

Related Searches


Promoted By Zergnet


You May Also Like

Related Searches

Check It Out

How to Travel For Free With Reward Points

Is DIY in your DNA? Become part of our maker community.
Submit Your Work!