The ultimate food for comfort and convenience is pizza, and the flexibility and variety make it an everyday food. Hot and cheesy, there aren’t any toppings that are off limits. From gourmet to fast food, any kind and many sizes are available. Pizzas typically come in small, medium and large and occasionally extra large. But these labels can be vague. When ordering, it’s good to know what measurements apply to these generic sizes. Pizzas are sized according to the measurement of the diameter, so a pizza with a 10-inch diameter would be considered small; a 12-inch diameter would be a medium; a 14-inch diameter would be a large.
Things You'll Need
- Tape measure
Hold the end of the tape measure over one edge of the pizza crust. Suspend it just above the pizza, without touching the surface.
Run the tape measure to the opposite edge of the pizza, still keeping it suspended above the surface.
Read the marking on the tape measure at the point where it meets the edge of the crust.
Tips & Warnings
- When making a pizza at home, your pizza pan or baking stone needs to be at least 1 inch larger in diameter than the pizza you want to make. This will allow for expansion of the crust as it bakes without having your pizza overflow and spill onto the oven floor.
- Some restaurants offer larger sizes than “large.” Sizes may vary when you travel abroad, but in the U.S. an extra large pizza has a 16-inch diameter and some pizza parlors serve larger, 18-inch-diameter pizzas.
- Angeli Caffe: Pizza, Pasta, Panini; Evan Kleiman
- Gordon Food Service: Essential Pizza Guide
- Photo Credit monkeybusinessimages/iStock/Getty Images
How to Make Pizza Dough in the Bread Machine
Making pizza dough in a bread machine isn't hard at all. As for the taste ... well, you'll never want to go...
How to Figure Cost Per Square Inch of Pizza
With Little Caesar's, it used to be easy. Now that the biggest national square pizza franchise has gone belly-up, if you want...
How to Calculate Ring Size
Accurately measuring your finger for its ring size is pretty simple. There is a standard North American conversion scale, and the same...
How to Make a Diaper Pizza
Instead of creating a diaper cake as a baby shower gift, take your idea in a different direction and make a diaper...
How to Build an Inexpensive Pizza Oven
Although a homemade pizza beats a frozen one from the market by a long shot, there are few things better than a...
How Do You Measure Area?
To measure the area of a given shape, a general rule of thumb is to multiply the length by the width and...
How Do You Measure Snowfall?
There are several ways to measure snowfall, including sticking a ruler in the snow, but the more scientific way involves measuring several...