Fleas and ticks can be more than just annoyances. Fleas can spread tapeworms and cause anemia in small pets. Ticks latch onto the skin and can be difficult to remove. They cause serious diseases, such as Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, Lyme Disease, tick paralysis and relapsing fever. Some of the chemicals used to prevent flea and tick infestation can be just as dangerous as the parasites. Apple cider vinegar repels fleas and ticks because they hate the way it tastes and smells. It can be used as a safe alternative to keep you, your pets and your home flea and tick free.
Things You'll Need
- Apple cider vinegar
- Spray bottle
Mix 2 cups of apple cider vinegar with 2 cups of water. Put the mixture into a spray bottle and lightly spray the coats of any pets you have. Keep the spray away from the pet's eyes.
If you have a dog, add 1 tbsp. of vinegar to 1 quart of water. Give it to your dog daily as drinking water.
Wash clothes, bedsheets and towels with vinegar. Pour a cup of vinegar into your washing machine during the rinse cycle.
Mix one part water and one part apple cider vinegar and pour it into a spray bottle. Lightly spray the carpet and furniture with the mixture. Test the spray on a hidden area of carpet first to make sure it does not stain. Allow the carpet to dry and vacuum it.
Tips & Warnings
- Add a few drops of lavender oil to the carpet spray to mask the smell of the vinegar.
- Use two dryer sheets to get rid of the vinegar smell in laundry.
- Vinegar is extremely irritating to the eyes.
- Vinegar does not kill fleas. It only repels them.
- University of Florida: Fleas and Ticks
- Michigan State University: Homemade Cleaners
- Partnership for Animal Rescue; Fleas, Ticks, Mosquitoes - Prevention and Treatment; Robin Tierney
- Dog Health Handbook: Vinegar Kills Fleas
- The Vinegar Institute: Uses and Tips
- Living Large on Less: A Guide to Saving Without Sacrifice; Christina Spence; 2010
- Photo Credit Jupiterimages/liquidlibrary/Getty Images
How to Kill Ticks & Fleas
Fleas and ticks can quickly become a problem in a home with pets. Both species multiply rapidly and can turn the presence...
Vinegar Bath for Fleas
Fleas are brown, tiny, wingless creatures who survive on blood. Once your pet gets infested with these pests, they can be difficult...
Homemade Tick Remedies
A tick is a small parasitic arachnid that feeds on the blood of mammals, reptiles and amphibians. When a tick encounters a...
Homemade Tick Repellent Recipe
How to keep troublesome ticks at bay? This simple natural repellent can be made with a few inexpensive household ingredients. Easy, inexpensive,...