Wedding cakes are an important part of just about every wedding reception. Saving a piece of the wedding cake to eat on your one year anniversary is another wedding tradition that many couples follow. Some couples go the traditional route and have the top layer made of fruit cake, and save that for their year anniversary.
Order a cake that will freeze well and taste somewhat good in one year. Cakes with a chocolate or vanilla base aren't good options. Instead, fruit cakes are best, since they'll remain fresh even after a long time passes. The more fat in your cake, the better it will freeze and stay moist once unfrozen. Cream-filled cakes and cakes with icing don't tend to freeze well.
Decide if you want to save the top layer of your cake or if you want to cut a portion to save. Determine if you want your family to join you on your one year anniversary to eat the cake. If so, you'll need to save a larger portion.
Put your cake in the freezer for a few hours until the icing is hard.
Wrap the cake tightly, making sure that little or no air can get in. Use moisture-proof wrapping material, then encase the cake in a freezer bags.
Tips & Warnings
- As an alternative to this tradition, opt instead to make a small replica of your wedding cake on your year anniversary. You won't take up space in your freezer and a fresh cake will taste better than a frozen one as well.
- Consider eating your frozen wedding cake on your one month anniversary instead of your one year anniversary. It will taste better and still be a fun tradition.
- Generally speaking, your wedding cake just isn't going to taste nearly as good one year later as it did on your wedding day. It's not about the taste, but instead it's about the tradition.
- While fruit cake can last a long time, freezing and eating another type of cake could pose a threat if it's attracted any type of bacteria or mold.
- Photo Credit Jupiterimages/Pixland/Getty Images
How to Store Your Wedding Cake for Your First Anniversary
Most people don't give much thought to preserving their wedding cake for their first anniversary. Someone at the reception will slip the...
How to Cook Frozen Pork Roast in a Slow Cooker
Discusses cuts of pork for making one-pot slow cooker meals. Tips and ideas for seasoning and using a slow cooker correctly are...
Birthday Cake Suggestions for a 6 Year Old Boy
Make a cake worthy of the title of party centerpiece by turning the cake into one of the birthday boy's favorite things....
Proper Ways to Thaw a Wedding Cake
Many couples keep the top layer of their wedding cake to eat on their one-year anniversary. In order for the wedding cake...
Why Eat Wedding Cake One Year Later?
Superstitions surround the wedding cake and its role in the beginning of married life, says Carol Wilson on Gastonomica.com. From wheat cakes...
Ideas for a Cake Topper for an 80 Year Old
Marking an 80th birthday is a milestone to be shared with friends and family. When deciding on how to make a birthday...
Simple Adult Birthday Party Food Ideas
Planning a party can be complicated, but party food does not have cause you any strife. After all, when you have guests...