If prepared correctly, beef roast is a tender cut of meat to serve at lunch or dinner. There are many methods of preparing beef roast, including coating the meat with a crispy layer of onion soup mix. The onion soup mix combines with the juices of the beef while it roasts, infusing the meat with a rich flavor. Only a few ingredients are required for beef roast with onion soup. Allow for at least two and a half hours of preparation time, and 40 minutes of bake time. A basic beef roast with onion soup recipe yields over 12 servings.
Things You'll Need
- 2 lb. beef roast
- 2 tbsp. butter or margarine
- 1 packet French onion soup mix
- Aluminum foil
- Meat thermometer
Place a 2 lb. beef roast on a working surface. Allow to set for two hours for it to come to room temperature.
Preheat an oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
Rub the outside of the roast with 2 tbsp. butter or margarine. Sprinkle one packet French onion soup mix over the roast. Use your fingers to press the onion soup mix into the butter, covering the roast's entire surface.
Wrap the roast in a layer of aluminum foil and place in a pan in the oven. Bake for 35 minutes before removing it from the oven. Leave the wrapped roast to set for five minutes after taking it out of the oven.
Unwrap the roast and use a meat thermometer to test its internal temperature. If it is not at least 135 degrees Fahrenheit, re-wrap the roast and bake in five-minute increments.
Serve while hot.
Tips & Warnings
- Any leftover beef roast will make tasty sandwiches if thinly sliced. When re-heating, cover the meat with a damp paper towel in the microwave to keep it from drying out.
- "The Complete Meat Cookbook"; Bruce Aidells and Denis Kelly; 2001
- "Beef for All Seasons: A Year of Beef Recipes"; Frederick J. Simon, John Harrisson and Tim Turner; 1999
- "Cooking Basics For Dummies"; Bryan Miller, Marie Rama and Eve Adamson; 2011
- Photo Credit Jupiterimages/Photos.com/Getty Images
How to Cook a Brisket in the Oven
A chewy and flavorful cut when cooked properly, a brisket can be braised in liquid in your oven for several hours to...
How to Cook Onions & Peppers in an Aluminum Pan on a Grill
Onions and peppers cooked on the grill can be a great accompaniment for sausages, steak, tofu or any other protein you can...
How do I Cook a Pot Roast With Lipton Beefy Onion Mix?
You can cook a comforting meal with a lot of flavor but not a lot of fuss by using Lipton Beefy Onion...