Personalize a birthday, anniversary or baby shower cake with a photo of the guest of honor. You can use any photo to top a cake, even if you have no experience with cake decorating. Choose one special photo or arrange several together to create a collage on your cake. Best of all, this process is extremely forgiving, so if you make a mistake you can fix it quickly and easily without ruining your cake.
Things You'll Need
- Color copy machine
- Self-adhesive clear laminate paper
- Resealable sandwich bag
Copy the photo with a color copy machine. This will prevent the original photo from being damaged.
Apply self-adhesive clear laminate paper to the front and back of the copy you made in step one.
Cut through the laminate and the copy paper along the edges of the photo to trim away the excess material.
Cover your cake with any type of frosting.
Place the photo lightly onto the frosted cake. Do not press the photo down into the frosting or you may end up peeling away most of the frosting when you remove the photo.
Spoon approximately 1/2 cup of frosting into a resealable sandwich bag and cut off one of the bottom corners of the bag to create a 1/8-inch diameter hole.
Squeeze the frosting through the hole in the bag and onto the edge of the photo. Pipe a line of frosting all the way around the photo to secure it to the cake and hide the edge. This will help the photo blend into the cake.
Tips & Warnings
- If you wish to add a photo collage to your cake, arrange the photos on a piece of paper with double sided tape and then copy the entire paper instead of a single photo in step one.
- Gently peel away the photo before you cut and serve the cake.
- "Hello, Cupcake!"; Karen Tack and Alan Richardson; 2008
- Photo Credit Jupiterimages/Comstock/Getty Images