An oil and vinegar-based dressing can easily be made with a few basic ingredients to dress a perfect cabbage salad. A variety of additional, seasonal ingredients can be added to dramatically change the flavor and texture of this simple side dish. Cabbage salad is an easy-to-make and inexpensive option for any occasion.
Things You'll Need
- 2 tbsp. white or red wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp. minced garlic
- Black pepper
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 small red onion, minced
- 3 radishes, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 small cabbage, cored and shredded
Gather and prepare ingredients.
Mix vinegar, oil, garlic, salt and pepper to taste in a large bowl, stirring until completely combined to create the dressing.
Add prepared celery, carrots, onion, radishes, bell pepper and cabbage to the dressing mixture and toss. Add additional salt and pepper to taste if necessary and serve immediately.
Tips & Warnings
- Lettuce or other greens may be used to replace cabbage.
- Ingredients such as meat, cheese, nuts and dried or fresh fruit may be added to the finished salad.
- Ingredients such as mustard, chopped fresh herbs, tomato paste, minced chilies, yogurt, soy sauce and anchovies may be added to the dressing.
- Additional cooked or raw vegetables such as snow peas, avocado, tomatoes, cucumber, fennel, beets, corn, potatoes, green beans, asparagus or broccoli may be added.
- This cabbage salad should be made and served immediately to maintain a crispy texture.
- Photo Credit John Foxx/Stockbyte/Getty Images
How to Make Oil and Vinegar Salad Dressing
Oil-and-vinegar dressing takes a simple plate of fresh salad greens to the next dimension of delightful. Oil-and-vinegar dressing, or vinaigrette, is a...
Can You Freeze Macaroni Salad?
Let's face it. There's only so much macaroni salad one can eat. Even a self-proclaimed macaroni salad lover has a limit of...
What Can You Substitute for Oil in Salad Dressing?
Swap out the oil in your salad dressing without sacrificing quality by using one of the various oil substitutes that add body...
How to Make Vinegar & Olive Oil Dressing
Vinegar and oil olive dressing calls for a three-to-one ratio of extra-virgin olive oil to red wine vinegar, accompanied by shallots, garlic,...