Launched in 1846, the Maid of the Mist boat ride takes you as close as is safely possible, to the thundering waters of Niagara Falls. Many famous people have taken this thrilling ride. On the hit television show, the Office, characters Pam and Jim eloped and married on the Maid of the Mist. You can too. Niagara Falls is known as the Honeymoon Capital of Canada. You can stay on either side of the border. Most of the tourist attractions are located on the Canadian side.
Things You'll Need
- A marriage license
- A wedding officiant
- A change of clothes
Apply for a marriage license in advance. You must obtain a marriage license in Ontario, Canada, or New York State. In Ontario, it is legal to marry your same sex partner. The procedure is the same as for a heterosexual marriage. You must be 18 years of age to get married in Ontario or if you are 16 or 17, you must have written parental consent. As of April 2011, the fee for a license was $100 Canadian funds. You may marry as soon as you have your license.
In New York State, you must be 18 years of age, or have written parental consent if you are 16, or 17 years of age, and there is a Supreme Court justice, or Family Court judge with jurisdiction over the city or town where the application is made. Once the license is obtained, you can marry after 24 hours has passed. As of April 2011, the license fee was $40 American funds.
Plan your stay. Hotels and motels in Niagara Falls offer Honeymoon Suites and discounts. Some hotel rooms overlook the falls. You will pay a premium for these rooms. Book early during wedding season because there are few vacancies. Many people elope to Niagara Falls. You can still find accommodations, further removed from the action of downtown. Stay in one of the many charming bed and breakfasts in Niagara on the Lake, located 30 minutes from the falls.
Board the Maid of the Mist from the American side, at the entrance to the New York State Falls Observation Tower, or from the Canadian Side, at the Maid of the Mist Landing at the bottom of Clifton Hill. The Maid of the Mist runs from early April to October, depending on ice conditions in the river. The tours run every 15 minutes and last for 30 minutes. You may bring guests, but be aware that this will not be a private ceremony. You will be sharing your memorable day with tourists. Group rates are available. The Maid of the Mist does not accept reservations.
Enjoy your honeymoon night. Dine at the revolving restaurant at the Skylon Tower, overlooking the falls. Stay in one of the many honeymoon suites located in the fine hotels that overlook the majestic scenery. Niagara Falls is most romantic at night. The falls are lit by a myriad of colors and the mist is cool on your skin on a warm summer night. During the day, rainbows often form over the falls.
Tips & Warnings
- Wear clothing that will not be ruined by water. Although you will be provided with a blue hooded rain poncho, and you will get drenched.
- Tell the Captain of the Maid of the Mist that you are getting married on board. They will work with you to provide the best experience.
- The Maid of the Mist does not take reservations. You will be getting married in the company of other tourists.
- The Captain of the Maid of the Mist cannot perform wedding ceremonies.
- The Maid of the Mist ride can be rough. If you are prone to seasickness, this may not be the venue for you.
- Photo Credit David Rogers/Getty Images Sport/Getty Images Mark Metcalfe/Getty Images News/Getty Images Hemera Technologies/Photos.com/Getty Images Jupiterimages/Photos.com/Getty Images John Foxx/Stockbyte/Getty Images Stockbyte/Stockbyte/Getty Images