Since the Disney release of "Pirates of the Caribbean," starring Johnny Depp, the popularity of pirates has grown. Depp's portrayal of Captain Jack Sparrow has renewed pirate excitement in men, children and even women. If you want to dress as a sexy pirate for your next costume party or Halloween outing, making your own requires little more than raiding your own closet or a trip to your local thrift store.
Things You'll Need
- Black skirt
- White peasant's blouse
- Large scarf
- Fishnet stockings
- Pirate hat
Cut a jagged edge into the bottom of a black fitted skirt. Choose a skirt that sits above the knees. If you cannot find one this length, cut the hem to above the knee then cut the jagged edge.
Wear a white peasant blouse, tucked into the skirt. Alternatively, use a man's dress shirt and leave the top buttons undone to show cleavage. Tie the shirt into a knot in the front to expose your stomach.
Fold a large scarf in half on a diagonal, so that you have a large triangle. Tie the scarf around your waist so that the long point of the triangle hangs down the side of the skirt. The color and pattern of the scarf are up to you, although red is a classic pirate color.
Wear fishnet stockings under the skirt, in either black or red. For an added look, rip one or two holes in the fishnets on each leg.
Wear either knee high or thigh high boots.
Wear a traditional three-pointed pirate hat and carry a sword to finish the look.
Tips & Warnings
- For your hair, wear it down, in any style you choose. If it is long, add curls with rollers or straighten it for a more dramatic look.
- For makeup, wear plenty of black eyeliner and bright, red lipstick.
- To make your own pirate sword, trace the shape of the sword on a piece of cardboard. Cut the shape out with scissors. Paint the blade of the sword silver and the handle black. Carry the sword in your hand or tuck it into your scarf.
- An eye patch is another accessory choice.
- For jewelry, the gaudier the better. Wear large jeweled costume jewelry and large hoop earrings.
- Photo Credit Jupiterimages/liquidlibrary/Getty Images