How to Get a New Passport If You Lost Yours

U.S. passports can only be replaced following a visit to a passport agency.
U.S. passports can only be replaced following a visit to a passport agency. (Image: Thinkstock/Comstock/Getty Images)

Replacing a lost U.S. passport, either the book or card, is a time-consuming and potentially-costly process as it requires the holder to fill out several forms and visit one of the government's 24 regional passport agencies or acceptance facilities. People who lose their passports abroad should contact the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate immediately to report the disappearance and organize an emergency replacement.

Things You'll Need

  • Form DS-11
  • Form DS-64
  • Proof of U.S. citizenship
  • Passport fee
  • Passport-sized photo

Report the loss of your passport immediately by contacting the Passport Services Unit of the U.S. Department of State. Operators are available 8:00 A.M. to 10:00 P.M. EST, Monday-Friday on 877-487-2778, excluding federal holidays

Confirm the loss in writing by completing form DS-64: "Statement Regarding a Lost or Stolen Passport." The form is available from passport agencies, acceptance facilities and the Travel State.Gov website. The form must be completed in black ink, signed and dated, and submitted with your new passport application request.

Fill out the DS-11: "Passport Application" form available from the same sources as form DS-64. This important form can be completed by hand or online but must be submitted in person at a passport agency or acceptance facility.

Submit originals and photocopies of the additional documents needed to process your application. Primary evidence of U.S. citizenship includes the following: certified birth certificate issued by the city, county or state, consular report of birth abroad or certification of birth, naturalization certificate and certificate of citizenship.

Locate the nearest passport agency or acceptance facility closest to you and submit the forms and additional documentation. If you need your new passport for foreign travel in less than two weeks, or a foreign visa within four weeks, then you should schedule an appointment by calling 877-487-2778 at anytime.

Pay the relevant fee and submit a passport photo that should not be attached to form DS-11 as you are submitting the application in person. Hand over form DS-64 too.

Check your new passport carefully for damage or errors when it arrives at your residential or business address. Report any such problems immediately.

Tips & Warnings

  • If you do not have primary evidence of U.S. citizenship you can submit a secondary form of evidence. A complete list is available on the Travel State.Gov website, and includes the following: delayed birth certificate, baptismal certificate, hospital birth certificate, letter of no record and Form DS-10 "Birth Affidavit".

Related Searches


Promoted By Zergnet


You May Also Like

Related Searches

Check It Out

How to Travel For Free With Reward Points

Is DIY in your DNA? Become part of our maker community.
Submit Your Work!