How to Register for a Photo Identity Card Through the Post Office


If you hold U.S. citizenship, you can apply for a passport card through the United States Postal Service. A passport card is issued by the U.S. State Department and allows the holder to travel between the United States, Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda without the need to present a full passport book to customs officers. It also also serves as a government-issued proof of identity and citizenship photo ID card.

Things You'll Need

  • Passport book
  • Two passport photos
  • Visit your local Post Office and request a DS-82 form if you have a passport book. If you have never held a U.S. passport book, or do not meet the requirements to apply using a DS-82 form (see Resources), you'll need to ask for a DS-11 form.

  • Complete the form in full making sure that you tick the check box next to the passport card option at the top. Make sure that the form is completed accurately and that you have signed and dated it at the bottom. Any mistakes could result in your application being delayed.

  • Present your application form along with your passport book if you have one and your two passport photos. If are using a DS-11 form, you'll need to submit proof of U.S. residence. This can be in the form of a birth certificate, a naturalization certificate or a certificate of citizenship.

  • Pay for your passport card using cash, a credit or debit card, postal order or a check. The amount you pay will depend on your age and status (see Resources.) Your passport card will be mailed to you when your application has been processed.


  • Photo Credit store sign image by Wolfgang Zintl from
Promoted By Zergnet



You May Also Like

Related Searches

Read Article

10 Most Needed Jobs in the Future

Is DIY in your DNA? Become part of our maker community.
Submit Your Work!