Marinating boiled eggs in beet juice is referred to by some as pickled eggs, but not all eggs in beet juice have to be pickled. A variety of flavors can be used in beet juice that enhance the flavor. The longer eggs are marinated, the deeper the color and more intense the flavor. Anywhere from three days to one week will make a difference in arriving at light pink or burgundy-shaded eggs. Often served together, marinated eggs and small beets make a colorful and delicious additions to an entree or soup and salad.
Things You'll Need
- 1 dozen fresh white or brown eggs
- 1 cup red beet juice from canned small whole beets
- 1 quart glass jar with lid
- 1 1/2 cups cider vinegar
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 sauce pan
Make a pinhole in the largest end of each egg. Place single-layered in a saucepan. Pour enough water over the eggs to cover by an inch. Cover the pan and bring to a boil. Once the water is boiling, turn down the heat and simmer for fifteen minutes. Remove from heat and immediately submerge the eggs in cool water. After they have cooled to room temperature, remove and peel.
Place the eggs in a sterilized, glass jar. Do not crowd the eggs. If they will not all fit, leave one or two out.
Remove the beets from the juice and cut in half. Pour the beat juice, vinegar and sugar in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Boil for five minutes and remove from the heat. While still hot, pour the solution over the eggs in the glass jar. Add a few beet pieces to the top of the jar.
Seal the jar with a lid and store in the refrigerator until ready to use.
Tips & Warnings
- Add cloves, allspice and cinnamon for a change of taste. Try pineapple juice and tidbits for a sweeter flavor. Play with different spices until you find a combination that you enjoy.
- Never allow your marinating eggs to sit over two hours at room temperature.
- Photo Credit Jupiterimages/Comstock/Getty Images Jupiterimages/Photos.com/Getty Images John Foxx/Stockbyte/Getty Images
- What Are the Benefits of Beet Juice?
- What Does it Mean When an Egg Floats When Boiling Eggs?
How to Marinate Steak
Make almost any cut of steak flavorful and tender with the right marinade. Tougher cuts, like skirt steaks and flank steaks, become...
- How to Make a Soft Boiled Egg
- How to Make Pennsylvania Dutch Style Red Beet Eggs