Whether you're a professional nail artists or a newbie interested in creating eye-catching nail designs, you can achieve intricately creative nail art by utilizing a variety of techniques. No matter how long your nails are, nail designs give your nails a finished look and stylish detail that complements the overall visual appeal of your nails. There are many different nail designs and nail art you can create just by simply using different colors of nail polish. To add even more detail, you can use a variety of techniques that professional manicurists use to achieve fabulous looking nails.
Things You'll Need
- 3 different nail polish colors
- Clear, fast-drying topcoat
- 2 toothpicks
- Nail dryer, fan or heat lamp
Simple Flower Designs
Grab three colors of nail polish, which are complementary to each other, such as red, black and white.
Paint a base coat on your nails in the color of your choosing. Allow them nails to dry. Apply a second coat. Allow the second coat to dry.
Apply a topcoat, which helps to protect the nail polish and accelerates the drying process. Allow the top coat to dry for at least a few minutes before attempting to paint your nail design.
Take a toothpick and dip one end of of it into one of the two nail polishes you will use to create the center and the petals of the flower. Once the toothpick has a solid amount of nail polish on the end of it, place the dot of nail polish where you want the center of the flower to be. You can place it towards the top of the nail, the middle of the nail or off to the side. Allow enough room on the nail to add the petals of the flower.
Grab another toothpick and dip it into the other color of nail polish. This color will create the petals on the flower. Use the toothpick to place the first dot above the center of the middle of the flower. Imagine the hands on a clock and place this dot at 12 o'clock. Allow yourself enough room so that the dot of the petal will not run into the center of the flower. You want a little bit of space between the center of the flower and the petals.
Sticking with the clock reference, place the next dot at 9 o'clock. Complete the remaining petals of the flower by placing dots at 6 o'clock and 3 o'clock. Once you complete the first flower, continue this same process with the remaining fingernails.
Finish the nails with a topcoat once you complete the flower designs. Place the nails under a nail dryer, fan or underneath a heat lamp for at least 10 minutes before doing any type of activity.
Tips & Warnings
- To make the flower design on your nails stand out even more, use a light colored nail polish as the base color. Use darker nail polishes to create the center of the flower and the flower petals.
- To achieve a mellow design, use a darker nail polish as the base coat and colors from the same color palette to create the petals and the center of the flowers.
- To keep nails from look overly busy, only apply flowers to every other nail.
- Allow nails to dry completely before using your hands and fingernails to do any type of activity. Not allowing nails to completely dry increases your chances of ruining your nail design.
- Photo Credit Creatas/Creatas/Getty Images
How to Paint Flowers on Your Nails
Beauty and nail salons offer a variety of nail art services, but the services can be prohibitively expensive to keep up with...
How to Correctly Paint Your Toe Nails
Painting your toe nails is one way to add some style to your feet. You can paint your toe nails daily to...