Cooking is often an adventure, especially when you find an interesting recipe that is measured in milliliters instead of grams. Since a gram is a unit of weight and a milliliter is a unit of volume, converting a recipe is not as easy as it seems. For example; when measuring water, 1 milliliter equals 1 gram. However, when measuring a solid, such as flour, 1 milliliter equals 0.52834 grams. Fortunately, there is a simple method of conversion that does not involve math calculations.
Things You'll Need
- 4-cup measuring cup
- Electronic kitchen scale
- Pencil or pen
Set your kitchen scale to measure in grams. Place a measuring cup on the kitchen scale. Adjust the scale so it reads "zero," according to the instructions.
Fill the measuring cup with the ingredient, such as flour, to the indicated number of milliliters.
Read the number of grams on the scale. Note the grams on the recipe, next to the ingredient, so you don't have to repeat the process the next time you use that recipe.
Reverse the process, if the recipe is measured in grams, by adding the ingredient to the measuring cup until it reaches the correct weight.
Tips & Warnings
- An electronic scale is easier to use than the standard kitchen scale. The digital readout is easier to read.
- Many measuring cups indicate cups and ounces as well as milliliters.
- Accurate measurements can make the difference between a delicious dish and a culinary disaster.
- The scale must read zero with the measuring cup on it, or the weight will be wrong.
- Set the scale to measure in grams.
- Different ingredients have different weights. Do not assume that similiar ingredients like white flour and wheat flour will measure to the same weight.
- Photo Credit BananaStock/BananaStock/Getty Images
How to Calculate Calories From Protein Grams
Protein is an important part of your diet, helping your body build muscle, repair tissue and stay in good respiratory and cardiovascular...
How to Convert Cups to Milliliters
If you ever plan on cooking, you'll definitely need to know how to convert cups to milliliters (mL) and mL to cups....
How to Convert to Grams for Measuring Spoons
Converting grams to measurements used to denominate measuring spoons is often necessary to cook with recipes. Although some countries use grams in...
How Do You Calculate APR?
APR stands for annual percentage rate. It is a calculation that determines the annual interest you will pay on a loan or...