Dome lights, also referred to as map lights or overhead lights, allow you to illuminate the interior of the vehicle in dark conditions. If you wish to disable the use of your dome lights, an easy and simple method is to remove the dome light bulb or bulbs. It should only take a few minutes to remove the bulb and if you wish to enable the use of your dome lights again, you simply need to reinstall the bulbs. Although the exact process for removing the dome light bulbs differs depending on your vehicle, the general idea is the same.
Things You'll Need
- Clean gloves
- Socket wrench
- Slotted screwdriver
- Phillips screwdriver
Put on the clean gloves and pop open the hood of your vehicle. Use a socket wrench to disconnect the negative terminal cable from the battery of your vehicle to prevent any accidental shocks when removing the dome light bulbs.
Open the driver's-side door and locate the dome lights on the ceiling of the vehicle. Many vehicles have a covering panel protecting the dome lights. Use a slotted screwdriver to pry off the covering panel. If your vehicle has fasteners securing the panel, such as screws or clips, remove the fasteners and then remove the covering panel.
Remove the dome light bulbs from the ceiling of the vehicle. On most vehicles, you can simply rotate the bulb counterclockwise and pull it to remove it. On some vehicles, you may need to disconnect an electrical wire connector before removing the bulb. This entails either simply pulling out the wire connector or squeezing in plastic clips to remove it.
Reconnect the negative terminal cable to the battery and close the hood. Simply reinstall the bulbs when you wish to use the dome lights again.
Tips & Warnings
- Many vehicles also have a button on the dome light housing or next to the headlight switch that prevents the dome lights from turning on when the door is open.
- You may also remove the dome light fuse to disable the dome lights, although this may also disable other components of the vehicle. Check with your owner's manual to be sure.
- Allow time for the bulbs to cool before removing them as they can become very hot.
- "Toyota Corolla and Geo/Chevrolet Prizm Auto Repair Manual 1993-2002"; Haynes; 2002
- "VW Passat & Audi A4 Repair Manual 1998-2005"; Haynes; 2008
- "Dodge Full-Size Pickups, 1994-2001 Haynes Repair Manual"; Haynes; 2001
- "Chrysler Full-Size Trucks 1989-96 Repair Manual"; Haynes; 1996
- "Ford Explorer 1991 thru 2001 Haynes Repair Manual"; Haynes; 2005
- "General Motors Full-Size Trucks 1988-1998 Repair Manual: Chevrolet/GMC Pick-Ups, Sierra, Blazer, Tahoe, Yukon and Suburban"; Chilton Automotive Books; 1998
How to Troubleshoot the Dome Lights on a GMC Jimmy
General Motors produced a Jimmy SUV model from 1983 to 2005, based on the popular S-10 truck series. The dome lighting became...
How to Remove a Buick Dome Light
Dome lights provide lighting to your car's interior. They are usually mounted behind a circular plastic cover, hence the name "dome light."...
How Do You Reset the Check Engine Light on a 2003 VW Passat?
The check engine light on your 2003 VW Passat comes on when there is a problem with the vehicle's emissions control system....
How to Replace the Fuse for a Corolla CE Dome Light
The dome light in a Toyota Corolla CE is protected by a mini fuse, located in the under-hood fuse block. When the...
How to Turn on the Dome Lights in a 2008 Acadia
The GMC Acadia has an overhead dome light that comes on automatically in certain situations. Whenever you open the car doors or...
How to Disable a Chevy Tahoe Dome Light
Disabling the dome light in a Chevrolet Tahoe requires pulling the dome light fuse from the interior fuse panel. Pulling this fuse...