Mouse sticky traps are commonly used and are also called glue boards. They are easy to set and use, inexpensive and work well. Whether on a board or in a shallow tray, the glue immobilizes a mouse. It is super sticky and does not harden. Once a mouse touches the glue, it is trapped. The glue sticks to fur and its feet sink in.
Things You'll Need
- Latex gloves
Peel off the top film carefully and place the glue trap in a spot that the mouse is sure to go over or through. Droppings will give you an idea of the mouse's normal routes. Try to block off the area so that the mouse has to go over to the trap. Any obstacle will help narrow its path. Pick a location where the trap will not be disturbed.
Add the bait. A small piece of cheese works fine. If the glue trap is scented, you may not need bait. The mouse will be attracted by the scent of the trap.
If a mouse is caught alive, it can be a shock. The animal is suffering and it is best to put it out of its misery as soon as possible. Ask someone for help if you are unsure about this.
Remove the trap with the mouse carcass. Use latex gloves and put the mouse and trap into a sealed plastic bag. Toss the bag and trap into the trash. If there are multiple mice to be caught, uses multiple traps in varied locations.
Tips & Warnings
- Try using a few different types of bait including cereal and bread. Mice do not eat meat.
- Touch the trap only on the sides of the tray.
- The dead mouse will start to smell if left to decompose and die.
- The mouse may not be dead, so be careful and avoid bites.
- It may be shocking to see an animal suffering. Also, be prepared to have to put the animal out of its misery.
- The scented glue many trap other animals including cats, bats, squirrels, rats, snakes, other rodents and birds.
- Do not use if there are children in the home.
- See resources for more humane ways of trapping mice.
- Photo Credit BananaStock/BananaStock/Getty Images
How to Catch Mice with Glue Traps
Glue traps are an effective and sanitary way to catch mice or other pests around the home. They paper or cardboard surfaces...
How to Catch a Mouse
Rodents are an unwanted presence in any house or business because of their droppings, the damage they cause with their gnawing, their...
How to Remove Glue From Glue Mouse Traps
Glue mouse traps have an incredibly sticky surface that makes it possible for them to immobilize mice and rats. Unfortunately, the traps...
How to Make Sticky Glue Mousetraps
Making your own glue for mouse traps from a common pantry item and water is easier than a trip to the hardware...
How to Make Sticky Mouse Traps
Glue boards are an effective way to rid your home of mice because they are convenient to use, highly effective and can...
The Best Way to Set a Rat Trap
Rat infestation in any home or business needs to be controlled, or serious damage can result to property and material items. Rats...