Soda and sweet liquids are commonly used to tenderize and flavor pork because the sugar draws out moisture from the meat. The naturally sweet and savory taste of pork is also complemented by the sugar. Sodas such as Coke can be used to tenderize meat regardless of your cooking method, and you don't need to alter the cooking times.
Things You'll Need
- Baking dish with a tight-fitting top
- Flavor injector
- Fresh or dried herbs and spices (optional)
Baking Dish Method
Place the pork in a baking dish large enough to hold the meat without stacking pieces on top of each other, leaving a small gap between each piece.
Pour enough Coke over the top of the meat to cover it by 2 inches.
Cover the baking dish with a tight-fitting top and place the meat in the refrigerator.
Allow the meat to marinate in the refrigerator for at least eight hours or overnight before cooking it.
Flavor Injector Method
Fill a flavor injector with Coke, removing the needle by unscrewing it before filling.
Push the needle of the flavor injector into the center of the piece of pork and push down on the plunger. For pork chops, use about 2 tbsp. For small pieces of meat, use approximately 1/2 tbsp. per piece.
Allow the meat to rest for 10 minutes so the soda is evenly distributed, or allow the meat to chill in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours. Cook as usual.
Tips & Warnings
- You can add herbs and spices along with the Coke using either method. If you are using the flavor injector method, limit the amount of solid herbs and spices to 1 part per 10 parts of soda to avoid clogging the injector.
- Common herbs for seasoning pork include thyme, marjoram, sage, summer savory and celery salt. If you use fresh herbs, you will need to use a larger amount than with concentrated dried herbs.
- Photo Credit Jupiterimages/Comstock/Getty Images
How to Tenderize Meat With Tea
Tea makes for a great meat tenderizer when other tenderizers are unavailable in your kitchen. Substitute tea bags for more expensive alternatives...
How to Cook Pork Chops
It is very important to know how to cook any pork recipe properly. Undercooked pork can cause a variety of unpleasant things....
How to Soak Pork Chops in Water to Tenderize Them
Make pork chops tender and juicy with this brining tutorial from eHow Food.