A weed is any kind of plant that is not needed in your garden. You should get used to spotting these invasive plants that survive under all kinds of conditions, and grapple with other plants for the space to grow. Weeding your garden does not necessarily have to be strenuous and laborious. Begin by eliminating as many weeds as you can, and take measures to prevent new ones from developing.
Things You'll Need
- White vinegar
- Boiling water
Fill your garden sprayer with white vinegar. Apply the vinegar directly onto the weeds to kill them. Spray the vinegar in the heat of the afternoon in order to get rid of them quickly.
Take the weeds out by hand. Be sure to extract the whole root system of the weed to prevent reproduction. Dig down a minimum of six inches under the weed to eliminate the entire root system.
Pour boiling water onto the weed. Be careful not to splash boiling water onto nearby plants and surrounding grass. Pour additional water onto the soil to kill weed seeds.
Cover the weeded area with heavy material, such as old carpet. Pull back the carpet every month, remove any weed growth, and recover the area. Eventually, weed roots will die.
Mow down the weeds. Plant new grass seed in lawns and keep mowing the grass regularly. Eventually, grass will crowd out the weeds.
Tips & Warnings
- Prune your plants to keep them healthy.
- Eliminate dead plants and debris from your garden.
- The safety of chemical weed killers is still under debate. Natural weed killers are safer for the environment.
- Photo Credit Jupiterimages/Photos.com/Getty Images David De Lossy/Photodisc/Getty Images Hemera Technologies/PhotoObjects.net/Getty Images Jupiterimages/BananaStock/Getty Images
How to Keep Weeds Out of the Garden
Weeds are everywhere, including the garden. Keeping them out is an impossibility because they are already in your soil, and more seeds...
How to Get Rid of Weeds in Your Lawn
There are a variety of weeds out there in the world attacking your perfect lawn. Like grass, weeds are fighting for a...
- How to Get Rid of Dollar Weed in St. Augustine Grass
- How to Get Rid of Creeping Charlie Weeds