A new bed skirt can look smashing around the bottom of your bed, coordinating beautifully with a comforter or quilt. Unfortunately, the gorgeous bed skirt came out of the package covered with unsightly wrinkles. But, go ahead and put it on your bed, wrinkles and all, because the best way to steam the wrinkles out of a bed skirt is to do while it's hanging around the edges of your bed.
Things You'll Need
- Portable garment steamer
- Extension cord
Add the required amount of water to the steamer, according to the manufacturer's instructions. Plug the garment steamer into an extension cord and then an electrical outlet, to give you ample cord for working. Allow the steamer to warm up.
Grab the hot steamer and get comfortable in a sitting position on the floor. Begin steaming the fabric of the skirt as it hangs from the bed. Push the button on the steamer to emit steam and hold the steamer about 6 to 8 inches away from the fabric -- far enough away so the steamer will not drip onto the fabric. Move the steamer up and down in front of the bed skirt fabric and the wrinkles should fall out.
Work your way around the three sides of the bed skirt with the steamer, slowly steaming the fabric to remove the wrinkles.
Tips & Warnings
- Wrinkles in a cotton or cotton-polyester blend bed skirt will easily fall out with a garment steamer. Proceed more carefully if you have a bed skirt made from silk fibers. Some bed skirts have crinkles in the fabric that are a part of the effect -- you should not try to remove these wrinkles.
- If you do not have a garment steamer, household irons usually have steamer settings that enable vertical use, just like a garment steamer. Check your iron to see if yours has this capability.
- "Home, Volume 46, Issues 7-9"; Indiana University; 2010
- Photo Credit Jupiterimages/Goodshoot/Getty Images
- How to Get Wrinkles Out of a Prom Dress
How to Use a Steam Mop on Slate Floor
Using a steam mop on slate is a quick way to achieve clean, dry floors. Steam mops do not use chemicals, which...
- How to Get Wrinkles Out of Suede
What Is the Easiest Way to Paint a Black Wrought-Iron Fence?
The easiest way to repaint a wrought-iron fence -- and to have your paint job last as long as possible -- is...
Do Garment Steamers Work?
As every fashion stylist knows, a garment steamer is a must-have accessory when it comes to getting clothes prepped for the next...