Paper is a naturally absorbent product that soaks up liquids with which it comes in contact. Moisture from water-based products dry and evaporate, but oil leaves a wet-looking, discolored stain. Fast action is important when responding to an oil stain on paper to isolate the stain and prevent it from spreading further. To fully remove the oil spot you must get rid of the oil on the surface while also drawing it out of the paper fibers.
Things You'll Need
- Talcum powder
- Clean cloth
- Clear tape
Lay the oil-stained paper on a flat surface. Cover the entire stain with a thick layer of cornmeal to absorb oil from the paper. Leave the cornmeal on the paper for 30 minutes.
Brush the cornmeal off the paper and into the garbage. Cover remaining stain with talcum powder. Wipe the talcum powder off after 10 minutes; alternately repeat adding and removing the talcum powder at 10-minute increments until no further oil is removed from the paper.
Wipe the paper with a dry, clean cloth to remove all powdery residue from cornmeal and talcum powder.
Adhere a piece of clear tape to the front- and back-side of the oil stain on the paper. Peel the tape away to lift the oil. Repeat this step as much as needed to remove the last traces of oil stain from the paper.
Tips & Warnings
- Substitute baking soda to draw an oil stain out of paper and remove accompanying grease odor.
- Treat a grease spot on paper immediately to avoid the oil spreading into surrounding paper fibers.
- Wipe grease-stained paper with a damp alcohol-based wet wipe to lift oil. Dry immediately with a hand or hair dryer.
- Photo Credit Erik Snyder/Lifesize/Getty Images Hemera Technologies/AbleStock.com/Getty Images
- How to Lift Oil Stains From Timberland Boots
- How to Repair Clothes Dyed By Accident
How Do I Remove Oil Stains From Concrete?
Oil can leak from your car onto your concrete driveway, causing dark stains to form. Oil stains not only indicate that your...
How to Remove an Oil Stain From Silk
Luxurious natural fibers make silk garments cool, comfortable and long-lasting. If an accident happens and your silk is stained with oil, act...
How to Get Oil Stains Off Concrete
Motor oil from leaky vehicles can wreak havoc on concrete surfaces. The oil will not only cause unsightly stains on parking areas...
- How to Remove an Oil Stain From a Silk Tie
How to Get Off Contact Paper & Its Adhesive
Contact paper, sometimes referred to as shelf paper, can brighten a cabinet, shelf or drawer. It is a durable paper that is...