How to Take Care of Your Spouse With Military Convalescent Leave


Emergency leave is available to service members based on need; it is generally given at the commander's discretion and is sometimes chargeable. You can use emergency leave to care for your spouse full-time if you are in the military. If your spouse is also in the military and is on convalescent leave, bring her convalescent leave documents to your chain of command when requesting emergency leave. They will assist your commander in making his decision about your leave.

Things You'll Need

  • Request and Authority for Leave form
  • Speak with your chain of command about your spouse's condition. According to Army Regulation 600-8-10, emergency leave is authorized for up to 30 days if your spouse is injured or seriously ill and you are the only available caregiver. Explain your situation and ask for permission to request leave.

  • Complete your Request and Authority for Leave form. Include your identifying information, your leave address and the number of leave days you are requesting. In Block 7, check the box marked "Emergency."

  • Attach the most recent copy of your Leave and Earnings Statement to your leave form. This will be used by your personnel office to determine how much chargeable leave you are eligible to take.

  • Give your leave form and any supporting documents, such as your spouse's approved convalescent leave form, to your unit's personnel office. Your personnel office will take the leave form to the commander on your behalf and return it to you when it has been approved.

Tips & Warnings

  • Do not simply decide not to show up if you are not granted leave immediately. Doing so can result in punishment under the Uniform Code of Military Justice.

Related Searches


  • Photo Credit Ryan McVay/Stockbyte/Getty Images
Promoted By Zergnet


You May Also Like

Related Searches

Check It Out

3 Day-to-Night Outfits for the Work Week

Is DIY in your DNA? Become part of our maker community.
Submit Your Work!