Potato and leek soup has a creamy texture. The leeks used in the soup have a mild onion taste that infuses the soup with flavor. When you have leftover potato leek soup, you can store it in the freezer to enjoy at a later date. Storing the soup properly in the freezer will prolong its shelf life by two to three months. Freezing the soup allows you to create more meals from one dish to save money.
Things You'll Need
- Shallow freezer containers with lids
- Freezer tape
- Freezer marker pen
Pour the leftover potato leek soup into shallow containers. Shallow containers that are 3 inches deep or less allow the soup to cool more rapidly. Leave 1/2-inch of headspace at the top of the containers to allow for expansion.
Place the containers in the refrigerator until they cool completely. Secure tight fighting lids on the containers.
Place a piece of freezer tape on the containers. Write the date and contents on the tape with a freezer marker pen and place the potato leek soup containers in the freezer. Freeze the soup at 0 degrees F.
Tips & Warnings
- Thaw the soup in the refrigerator or in your microwave.
- The potato texture may change when you freeze the soup, which can alter the quality and taste.
- Never overload the freezer with too much unfrozen food because it will not freeze within 24 hours.
- Always use the soup that has been frozen the longest first to prevent freezer burn or loss of quality.
- Cook UK: Leek and Potato Soup Recipe
- University of Wisonsin Extension; Soup: What You Need to Know & Favorite Recipes; 2006
- North Dakota State University; Food Freezing Basics: Packaging, Loading the Freezer and Refreezing; Julie Garden-Robinson; August 2005
- University of Minnesota Extension; Home Food Preservation Newsletter Soup's On; December 2009
How to Make Potato Leek Soup
Start to finish: 1 hour Servings: 4 to 6 Difficulty level: Beginner Potato and leek soup is a classic of French cuisine....
How to Freeze Leeks
Leeks resemble giant green onions, with green tops and white bottoms. Their mild onion-like flavor goes well in stews and other recipes,...
How to Store Potato Chips in the Freezer
Instead of purchasing a large quantity of potato chips and letting them take up space in your pantry, you can place them...
How to Freeze Cauliflower Soup
Making soup ahead of time and freezing it can be a great way to save time in the kitchen. After making some...
How to Home Can Potato Soup
Potato soup makes a hearty main or side dish and if you can it in jars, it will keep for months. With...
How to Freeze Onions or Leeks
Leeks and onions may not seem like the best candidates for freezing -- but in fact, they both do rather well in...
How to Make Leek and Potato Soup
It may taste like you slaved all day, but leek and potato soup is actually one of the simplest soups to make....