Hard boiled eggs are not just for decorating and hiding on Easter! These delicious culinary delicacies can be served in a variety of ways. Chop or slice a few and add them to salads, sandwiches, soups and stews. Spice up ordinary biscuits and gravy by dicing up and adding a handful to your favorite recipe. Hard boiled eggs can be pickled or served plain with a lemon wedge and twist of salt. Just be sure the eggs you are preparing to crack are fully cooked or you'll have a gooey mess on your hands.
Things You'll Need
- Candle Holder
The Spin Test
Lay an egg on its side on a countertop, keeping away from the edge.
Spin the egg with a flick of your wrist. If the egg spins freely then you know the egg is hard boiled. If the spin of the egg is wobbly, the egg is raw.
Stop the egg from spinning. If the egg continues to spin on its own, the egg is raw. The reason the egg will continue to spin after you have stopped it from spinning is because the raw fluid inside the egg is still in motion.
The Candle Test
Place the candle in the candle holder and set on a flat, firm surface. Ensure that the surrounding area is free of all flammable liquids or other flammable items.
Turn off or dim the lights in the room.
Light the candle.
Pinch the egg between your thumb and fore-finger, bracing the base of the egg against your thumb and the tip of the egg against your fore-finger.
Hold the egg up to the candle light or to the flashlight. If you see the shadow of the yolk sac, the egg is raw. If you do not see a shadow, the egg is completely cooked.
Tips & Warnings
- Hard-boiled eggs taste best if fresh eggs are used. A great way to test your eggs for freshness is to submerge them in a bowl of cold water. Fresh eggs will rest on the bottom and bad eggs will float to the top. Any eggs that float should be tossed out immediately.
- A soft boiled egg will react in a similar manner to these tests as a raw egg.
- Photo Credit Jupiterimages/Photos.com/Getty Images
How to Boil an Egg
Boiling an egg to the desired consistency is not as simple as it may seem. A timer is essential in getting it...
- How to tell if your boiled egg is done
- How to Know When Hard Boiled Eggs Are Done
The Best Way to Save Hard Boiled Eggs
Hard-boiled eggs are popular snack foods, in addition to being a key component of the spring holiday season because of their importance...