Black mold is common in areas where there is moisture or humidity, such as bathrooms, basements and kitchens. It can also be found in walls and ceilings where there is a leak from such things as appliances and air conditioners. Black mold is toxic and can cause headaches, asthma, allergies and compromised immunity. In most cases, mold can be cleaned up with soap, water and bleach. Mold that has attached itself to porous surfaces such as drywall may need to be replaced.
Things You'll Need
- Scrub brush
- Trash Bag
- Fan or dehumidifier
Find the cause of the mold. The source of the mold needs to be fixed before you start cleaning. Look for leaks around appliances, in air conditioner duct work, around sinks and tubs or anywhere where moisture can get in.
Seal off the room with plastic and tape before cleaning and only clean one room at a time. Mold spores are toxic and can be transmitted through the air to other parts of the house. Make sure to wear a mask, gloves and protective eye-wear. Wash clothes and shoes immediately after finishing. Throw all rags into a garbage bag and take straight outside.
Place a dehumidifier or a fan in the room to dry. Removing moisture from the area will prevent spores from spreading and causing further damage. If the room has windows or a door leading outside, open it to air out.
Mist the areas of mold with water. This will prevent spores from going airborne into other parts of the room and re-attaching. Mold can be dormant for months before showing any signs of growth.
Mix soap and water and apply to areas of black mold with a rag or pump sprayer. Use a rag, old toothbrush or a scrub brush and thoroughly clean the area. Make sure to clean all areas around the mold in case it has spread.
Disinfect the area with bleach, ammonia, alcohol or hydrogen peroxide, following the same steps as you did with the soap and water. The product you choose depends on the degree of mold in your room and overall health of the people in the home. For example, bleach works wonderfully on mold and kills almost anything, but the fumes can make some people sick.
Tips & Warnings
- Hire a professional specializing in black mold for extensive damage.
- Photo Credit Jupiterimages/Photos.com/Getty Images
What are Black Mold Symptoms?
Having black mold in a house can harm a person's health. Black mold produces mycotoxins, which are volatile organic compounds.
How to Kill Black Mold
Stachybotrys chartarum is a potentially dangerous form of mold that grows on porous surfaces with substantial water damage. You may not have...
How to Kill Mold in Walls
When you see mold growing on your walls -- especially black mold -- you have to get ready for the probability of...
How to Kill Mold Spores
Mold spores are the reproductive offspring of molds. They cause allergic reactions in some people and simply killing them is insufficient to...
How to Get Rid of Mold on an Electric Toothbrush
Sometimes the charging base on an electric toothbrush head gets moldy after long periods of use without cleaning. Mold can be toxic,...
How Long Does it Take for Mold Spores to Become Airborne?
Mold is everywhere in our environment and begins to grow when airborne spores land in areas that remain wet constantly. Twenty-four to...