How to Use Chlorine Dioxide

Save

Chlorine dioxide is a powerful disinfectant, capable of killing viruses and other airborne pathogens. Its byproduct, chlorite, is bactericidal, providing additional protections against harmful microorganisms. Chlorine dioxide comes in powder, liquid and tablet form. Regardless of the form you decide to use, chlorine dioxide must be accurately measured before applying it to your water. This chemical compound, if measured properly, causes severe irritation in the stomach, resulting in vomiting and diarrhea. The correct dosage and preparation cleans drinking water and protects against microscopic dangers.

Things You'll Need

  • 1 liter container
  • Metric scale
  • Measure .5 mg to 2 mg of chlorine dioxide powder, liquid or tablets onto a metric scale. Any amount between this range is acceptable, but remember that chlorine dioxide is a stomach irritant. A dosage closer to the low end of the scale should be used if you're using chlorine dioxide for the first time. Your body will eventually build a tolerance.

  • Add the measured chlorine dioxide to 1 liter of water. Measure this water using a measuring cup or fill a container that is clearly labeled as 1 liter.

  • Place the water in a cool, dry spot and leave it undisturbed for 30 minutes. The passage of time allows the chlorine dioxide to interact with the water and kill harmful microscopic organisms.

  • Add water to the mixture to lower the concentration of chlorine dioxide somewhere between .2 mg and .4 mg per liter. The chlorite byproduct will continue killing harmful organisms while the concentration of chlorine dioxide is lowered to an amount safe for consumption.

Tips & Warnings

  • Chlorine dioxide is effective for 48 hours if not replenished. Continue adding chlorine dioxide to drinking water if you want the beneficial disinfectant effects to continue.
  • Vitamin C is a natural chlorine dioxide neutralizer. Take a vitamin C pill if you feel adverse effects from too much chlorine dioxide (vomiting, diarrhea, etc.).
  • Dialysis patients should not use chlorine dioxide due to possible complications with dialysis treatment.

Related Searches

References

  • Photo Credit Jupiterimages/Comstock/Getty Images
Promoted By Zergnet

Comments

Related Searches

Check It Out

22 DIY Ways to Update Your Home on a Small Budget

M
Is DIY in your DNA? Become part of our maker community.
Submit Your Work!