Stir-frying -- cooking meat, vegetables and spices in a wok over high heat -- is a common cooking method that originated in Asian traditions and has since gained mainstream popularity in America because of its quick preparation. You can make a stir-fry even quicker by making your own instant stir-fry seasoning mix and sauce. Every good stir-fry recipe starts with good seasoning. There are only a few ingredients used to season a basic stir-fry and mixing them takes very little time and effort.
Things You'll Need
- Stir-Fry Mix
- 1/4 cup powdered chicken bouillon
- 3 tbsp. cornstarch
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 2 tbsp. dried minced onions
- 2 tbsp. instant garlic, minced
- 2 tsp. dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp. crushed red bell pepper (dried)
- Small bowl
- Small mixing spoon
- Pint-sized container with lid
- Stir-Fry Sauce
- 1/2 c. cornstarch
- 1/4 c. brown sugar
- 1 tbsp. minced ginger root
- 2 lg. cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp. ground red pepper
- 1/2 c. soy sauce
- 1/4 c. cider vinegar
- 2 c. chicken or beef broth
- 1/2 c. dry sherry (optional)
- 1/2 c. water
- Quart-sized container with lid
Dry Stir-Fry Mix
Place all of the ingredients into a small bowl and stir until thoroughly combined.
Pour the ingredients into a large container and seal the container tightly.
Store the container at room temperature for up to a year.
Mix the cornstarch, brown sugar, ginger, garlic and red pepper in the large container.
Add the vinegar and soy sauce to the container, seal and shake vigorously.
Add the sherry, broth and water and shake again. Seal the container. Store it in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
Tips & Warnings
- To use the dry stir fry mix, add one tablespoon of mix to a cup of water and stir thoroughly. Add three cups of stir-fry vegetables and two tablespoons of wok oil to a wok and cook quickly on high heat for one minute. Add the sauce mixture and stir until thickened. Add two cups of chopped, cooked chicken breast, steak or whole shrimp if desired. Serve with steamed rice.
- To use the sauce mix, add three cups of stir-fry vegetables and two tablespoons of wok oil to a wok and cook quickly on high heat for one minute. Add one cup of the sauce mixture and stir until slightly thickened. Add two cups of chopped, cooked chicken breast, steak or whole shrimp if desired. Serve with steamed rice.
- Photo Credit Jupiterimages/Goodshoot/Getty Images
How to Stir Fry Shrimp
Shrimp is easy to cook but it is also quite easy to botch, simply by trying to treat it as a meat...
How to Cook Stir-Fry Noodles
In less than 30 minutes, you can have a simple and delicious stir-fry noodle dish ready to serve. Use a vegetable broth...
How to Cook Chicken Stir Fry
Chicken stir fry is a quick, easy and healthy Chinese recipe. Combining deboned chicken with fresh vegetables like snow peas, carrots and...
How to Make Your Own Asian Seasoning Mix
Learn to make five essential Asian seasoning mixes using ingredients you may already have on hand. Includes tips for storage and use.
How to Mix Type S Mortar Mix
Mortar mixes are classified by letters to distinguish between the various ratios of the ingredients used in each one. The most commonly...