How to End Child Support Payments & Wage Assignment


Every state has a system for the deduction of child support payments directly from the non-custodial parent's wages. Courts generally prefer parents use this wage assignment procedure rather than pay each other directly. Some states make it mandatory. Often the order assigning wages does not have a built-in termination date because some states do not automatically terminate child support at a certain age; states may also factor in whether the child is still in school or living at home. In those cases, until an order of the court terminates the wage assignment, the employer is legally obligated to continue deducting wages.

Read the laws concerning child support in your state. You can usually find them either on the state legislature's website or the state supreme court website. Make sure that, according to the laws of the state, you qualify to terminate the wage assignment.

Call the state's child support enforcement agency and ask for any applicable forms. In some states, the agency may take care of terminating the wage assignment for you.

Fill out the form if there is one in your state and file it with the clerk of the court where the wage assignment and child support order was filed. Otherwise, file a motion to terminate child support and the wage assignment. Request a hearing date.

Go to court at the time of the scheduled hearing. Explain to the judge why you think child support and the wage assignment should cease. If the judge agrees, the judge will enter the appropriate order.

Serve a copy of the court's order upon the employer so that it may legally stop deducting wages.

Related Searches


Promoted By Zergnet


You May Also Like

Related Searches

Check It Out

4 Credit Myths That Are Absolutely False

Is DIY in your DNA? Become part of our maker community.
Submit Your Work!