How to Find Out if My Illinois License is Suspended


The Illinois Secretary of State has the power to suspend your license for serious traffic law violations or repeated minor violations. The Secretary can also suspend your license for offenses such as failure to register as a sex offender, failure to pay child support, failure to pay fees to the Commerce Commission or failure to pay any court-imposed fine. If your driver's license is suspended, the Secretary must notify you by U.S. mail at the "last known address of the person." To know for sure whether you have a suspended license, you have to look at your driving record.

Things You'll Need

  • $12 fee
  • Go to any of the 130 Secretary of State facilities statewide. Complete an "Abstract Request Form." Pay $12 in cash, check or money order. Receive a printed copy of your driving record.

  • Go online. Print the Abstract Request Form (see Resources). Complete the form and mail it with a check or money order for $12 to: The Secretary of State, Driver Analysis Section, 2701 S. Dirksen Parkway, Springfield, Il 62723. You will receive the record within 10 working days.

  • Schedule a hearing with the Secretary of State's local office. If your license has been suspended, you may appeal or you may qualify for a variety of hardship permits to allow you to drive to and from work or school, or to certain other places.

Tips & Warnings

  • If you continue to drive while your license is suspended, you will be subject to further penalties.


  • Photo Credit wallet and car key image by Richard Seeney from
Promoted By Zergnet



You May Also Like

Related Searches

Read Article

10 Most Needed Jobs in the Future

Is DIY in your DNA? Become part of our maker community.
Submit Your Work!