Bouillon granules, a common staple in many kitchens, are dehydrated vegetables or broth used to flavor soups. Bouillon granules are available for commercial purchase in several different flavors for a relatively low cost. However, bouillon granules sold in stores often have a high salt content. You can make bouillon granules from home using dehydrated vegetables and a small amount of salt for a healthier alternative. Making bouillon granules requires only a few simple kitchen supplies to get started.
Things You'll Need
- 2 carrots
- 2 celery stalks
- 2 leeks
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley
- Cutting board
- Sharp knife
- Food dehydrator
- Coffee grinder
- 1 tbsp. salt
- Plastic container with lid
Chop two carrots, two celery stalks, two leeks and 1/2 cup of fresh parsley on a cutting board with a sharp knife. The chopped pieces should be no thicker than 1/4 inch.
Place the chopped vegetables into a food dehydrator and dry for time specified by the manufacturer.
Place the dried vegetables into a coffee grinder and turn it on high for two minutes.
Pour 1 tbsp. of salt into the mixture and turn the coffee grinder on high for another minute.
Pour the bullion into a plastic container and seal tightly. Store the bouillon in a refrigerator and use within 12 months to prevent spoilage.
Tips & Warnings
- Experiment with adding different vegetables and seasonings to your bouillon mixture.
- "Cooking Basics for Dummies"; Bryan Miller, Marie Rama and Eve Adamson; 2011
- "The New Book of Soups: A complete guide to stocks, ingredients, preparation and cooking techniques, with over 150 tempting new recipes"; Anne Sheasby; 2010
- "Joy of Cooking: 75th Anniversary Edition"; Irma S. Rombauer, Marion Rombauer Becker and Ethan Becker; 2006
- Photo Credit veggies oh so pretty image by Pix by Marti from Fotolia.com
What Is Chicken Bouillon?
Chicken bouillon is a clear liquid made from chicken, vegetables, spices and water. The resulting broth can be used to flavor many...
How to Make Your Own Sewing Patterns
For people who want to customize the fit of their clothing or have proportions that don't quite match the cookie-cutter designs and...
How to Use Bouillon
Bouillon is used in chicken dishes and serves as a base for soup. Even great gravies can be made with a bouillon...
Substitutes for Chicken Bouillon
Substitutes for Chicken Bouillon. Chicken bouillon is a common ingredient in many soups, but can also be a frequent additive in numerous...
How Do You Make Cheese?
Cheese is made in about 12 processes, depending on the kind of cheese being made, and the first step in making cheese...