An air tank is a device that stores compressed air for use in re-filling car and bicycle tires. You can also use an air tank as a cleaning device to cleans floors and brick walls. You can make your own air tank using PVC at home.
Things You'll Need
- 2 inch PVC straight coupler
- Safety knife
- 2 inch PVC cap (solvent weld)
- ¾ inch solvent weld to threaded adapter
- 2 inch to ¾ inch PVC pipe reducer
- 2 inch by 10 foot PVC pipe
- ¾ inch by 10 foot PVC pipe
- Solenoid valve ¾ inch inlet, ½ inch outlet
- Schrader valve-stem
- PVC primer and cement
Get a two-inch PVC pipe and use a safety knife to cut it to your desired length. Use the same knife to cut a 2 inch long piece out of a 3/4 inch PVC pipe. Dust off the pipes to remove debris from the cutting process.
Use a drill to drill a small hole at the top of the 2 inch PVC pipe. The whole should be big enough to be able to fit a bike pump valve. Put tape on the valve, use lubricant all over the pipe and inside the pipe. Push the valve into the hole you have just made and turn it to secure it.
Fasten the end-cap to the 2-inch pipe with cement and primer. Evenly spread the primer on to the pipe and then place one coat of cement on top of the primer. Put the pipe into the fitting and twist to secure.
Attach the 2 inch PVC coupling to the back end of the PVC pipe using cement and primer. Put the ¾ inch reducer on to the two-inch coupling with cement and primer as well. Put the ¾ inch by two inch pipe part on to the PVC reducer. Use the same primer and cement process to fix the ¾ inch PVC to the threaded adapter.
Tips & Warnings
- Make sure that all cement and primer is fully dry before applying pressure to the tank.
- Photo Credit te en pvc 45Â° image by Marie-ThÃ©rÃ¨se GUIHAL from Fotolia.com