Few cleaning solutions and methods actually kill mold spores. Instead, solutions with detergent or bleach will remove the mold spores' grasp on the material so that you can wash them away and then throw them away. Some very strong chemicals can kill mold spores, but generally, only professionals use them. The average person can use very high or low temperatures to kill mold spores. If you have a torch, you can kill mold spores on objects that the fire will not damage of melt. Take special precautions to ensure that you don't start a fire.
Things You'll Need
- Work gloves
- Liquid dish soap
- Scrubbing brush
Place the object with black mold in a concrete slab or on an area that will not be damaged by the torch and that will not catch on fire. This will help ensure that your process does not start a fire.
Put on work gloves and a mask that will protect your face from the fire but that will not melt if it gets hot.
Turn on your torch and direct the fire toward the black mold areas. Concentrate the flame on the area until you are certain that the area is hotter than 100 degrees Fahrenheit.
Turn off the torch and set it aside. Let the object cool completely. The mold spores are dead, but you will still need to remove them.
Fill a bucket with hot water and add 2 tsp. liquid dish soap.
Dip a scrubbing brush into the solution and scrub the entire surface of the object until you remove all of the black mold.
Rinse the object with clear water and dry it with a clean cloth.
- Photo Credit Jupiterimages/Photos.com/Getty Images
How to Kill Mold in Ductwork
Mold in the ductwork in your home can be a serious problem that requires your attention right away. If you or someone...
How to Use Borax to Kill Mold
Borax is a common cleaning chemical used by individuals and industrial companies alike. It does not emit any toxic chemicals when you...
Can I Burn Black Mold?
Black mold is a type of toxic plant fungus that rapidly decays organic matter in nature. This breaking down process allows nutrients...