Marvel Mystery Oil is a petroleum-based product designed to be used as an additive in either your engine or fuel lines. Depending on your needs, it's available in 16-ounce, 32-ounce, one-gallon, five-gallon or 55-gallon containers and can be used in conjunction with synthetic blend and full-synthetic oil products. It also can be used in gasoline or diesel engines. Marvel Mystery Oil enhances the lubrication of your vehicle's engine and fuel system, which can lead to a longer lifespan of those components.
Things You'll Need
- Marvel Mystery Oil
- Socket wrench
- Oil filter
- Filter wrench
- Motor oil
In the Fuel System
Fill up your tank at a gasoline station.
If you fill up the gas tank with an amount of fuel divisible by five, it will be much easier to calculate how much Marvel Mystery Oil to add to your vehicle.
Calculate how much Marvel Mystery Oil you should add to your vehicle's fuel tank. For every five gallons of fuel, you should add two ounces of Marvel Mystery Oil. The 16-ounce and 32-ounce bottles have clear windows and markings on the outside of the bottles to indicate how much oil has been poured.
Pour the Marvel Mystery Oil slowly into your vehicle's tank. Stop frequently to check how much you have put in. Once you have put in the correct amount, put the gas cap back on your vehicle, start the vehicle and continue on your way.
In the Motor Oil
Use a socket wrench to remove the plug from the oil pan to drain the motor oil from your engine.
Remove the oil filter from your vehicle. If you cannot unscrew it by hand, use a filter wrench to loosen it. Replace that oil filter with a new one, being sure to put some oil on the gasket of the filter to help ensure a tight seal.
Put the plug back on the oil pan and tighten it with a socket wrench.
Consult your owner's manual to see how much oil your vehicle should take. Subtract one quart from the suggested amount. For example, if your vehicle takes five quarts of oil, pour in four quarts. To add the motor oil, remove the oil fill cap in your engine compartment, insert a funnel and pour the oil in.
Pour one quart of Marvel Mystery Oil into the funnel.
Screw on the oil fill cap, start the engine and let it idle for a few minutes. Turn the vehicle off and check the dipstick to ensure the oil level is adequate. If it is low, add some more motor oil and recheck the level.
Tips & Warnings
- When using Marvel Mystery Oil in your fuel system, it is recommended that you add it every time you fill up your vehicle with fuel.
- When using it as a supplement to your engine oil, Marvel Mystery Oil should be added at every oil change.
- Motor oil comes in a variety of weights, which have different properties. Consult your owner's manual to see what type of oil is required in your vehicle.
- When changing your oil, never pour the used motor oil into the ground or down a sewer, as motor oil is toxic and can easily contaminate groundwater. Most major auto parts stores will accept used motor oil and will recycle it properly. The oil filter also should be returned so it can be recycled.
- Photo Credit Luxury Car sportscar from my luxury car series image by alma_sacra from Fotolia.com
How to Use Marvel Mystery Oil As a Gas Stabilizer
Marvel Mystery Oil was first developed in the 1920s to keep engine carburetors and fuel systems clean and free of deposits created...
How to Add Marvel Mystery Oil to Transmissions
Marvel Mystery Oil is an additive that was fist sold in 1923 through the Marvel Oil Company. It was created to clean...
How to Use Marvel Mystery Oil
Marvel mystery oil first came out in October 1923 to rid carburetors of deposits caused by unrefined gasoline. In World War II,...
How to Use Marvel Mystery Oil As a Motor Flush
Marvel Mystery oil was founded in 1923 by Burt Pierce in Chicago Illinois. Many vehicles at that time had ongoing problems with...