After market fog lights can be wired to turn on and off with the parking lights, eliminating the need for excessive wire and the installation of a toggle switch.
Things You'll Need
- Wrench set
- Wire strippers
- soldering gun
Disconnect the positive and negative battery cables using the wrench set.
Remove any protective wire loom from the parking light wires and locate the positive wire for each parking light. Strip back the wire coating about one inch with the wire strippers going to each parking light.
Twist the positive wire for the fog light to the positive wire for the corresponding parking light on that side of the vehicle. Repeat for the opposite side.
Secure the twisted wires by soldering the connections with the solder gun and solder. Wrap the new splices with electrical tape to prevent any electrical shorts.
Connect all the wiring to the fog lights, and install the fog light ground cable to the negative battery post. Reconnect the vehicles positive and negative battery cables using the wrench set.
Tips & Warnings
- If a soldering gun is not available, you can use electrical butt connectors as well; however, soldering wire splices is the preferred method.
- Never assume whether or not a wire is positive or ground, if there is any doubt consult a professional or look up a wiring diagram for your particular vehicle.
- Electrical systems can only support so much electricity at one time, If this installation method cause a fuse to blow, you must install the fog lights by running their own fused power supply and installing a toggle switch inside the vehicle.
- A vehicles electrical system can be dangerous, always make sure the battery is completely disconnected before performing any electrical work.
- Today's Technician: Automotive Electricity and Electronics; Barry Hollembeak; 2006
- Photo Credit fog lights on suv image by Kathy Burns from Fotolia.com
What Are Parking Lights Used For?
The name "parking lights" is given to the set of lights that appear outside of the headlights on the front of a...
How to Wire Auto Fog Lights
Automotive fog lights are an indispensable safety feature for those who live in areas prone to early morning fog. Wiring an after-market...
How to Turn On the Fog Lights on a Jeep Liberty
Fog lights come factory-installed on many vehicles including the Jeep Liberty. Fog lights illuminate the portion of the road immediately in front...
How to Wire Fog Lights
Fog lights are a great do-it-yourself add-on for a car or truck. Properly installed and wired, these lights make it much easier...
How to Wire Fog Lights With a Relay
Adding fog lights to your car or truck is a great way to improve your driving safety in rain and fog. Fog...
How to Install Driving Lights
Adding driving lights to a vehicle can improve nighttime vision and make the car more attractive. Several hundred styles and colors are...
How to Remove the Fog Light on a Dodge Neon
The Dodge Neon was a compact front wheel drive car made by the Dodge division of Chrysler. Although production ended in 2005,...
How to Reset the Maintenance Light on a Scion tC
The maintenance light in your Scion tC's odometer case is designed to turn on when it's time for a regularly scheduled maintenance...
How to Wire Headlights and Parking Lights to a Toggle Switch
Over time, the headlight switch on a car can become worn and eventually inoperable. These switches can often be quite expensive to...
How to Run Fog Lights on the Parking Lights of a Dodge Avenger
When it's foggy, your vision is diminished, so you'll need to drive your Dodge Avenger cautiously and slower than the speed limit,...