Circular saws can cut a variety of materials efficiently including wood and metal. They're also highly portable which means they can be transported in a car or truck. With heavy usage, the blade can start to become loose. This can pose a danger to the person using the saw. To make the saw safe again, you'll need to tighten the blade. You can tighten the blade within 5 minutes without consulting a professional tool repairman.
Things You'll Need
- Socket wrench
Look at the circular saw and find the hex bolt in the middle of the blade. This is the bolt that holds the blade to the rest of the circular saw unit.
Take a wrench and grab the outer flange which is the metal disk that surrounds the bolt. When you tighten the bolt, you'll want this outer flange to stay still.
Insert a socket wrench onto the bolt and turn it clockwise to tighten the hex bolt. You'll want to make sure that the hex bolt is very tight because the saw blade will vibrate when the saw is in use and this can loosen the blade.
Remove socket wrench from the hex bolt and take away the wrench from the flange. Repeat this procedure whenever the saw blade is loose.
Tips & Warnings
- Wear safety goggles and gloves when working with a safety saw.
- Check the blade for broken teeth when tightening the saw blade.
- If you have difficulty tightening the blade, refrain from using the saw until you bring it to a professional to be repaired.
- Always unplug a circular saw before repairing it or touching the blade.
- Clean the circular saw after you use it to remove any sawdust or metal shavings that are stuck to the blade.
- Photo Credit detail of circular saw image by Thor Jorgen Udvang from Fotolia.com
How to Choose the Right Circular Saw Blade
The perfect circular saw blade exists for nearly every job. Don't mess up your project by using the wrong one.
How to Change a Circular Saw Blade
There are times when it becomes necessary to change the blade in a circular saw. In a workshop environment, changing these blades...
How to Replace a Circular Saw Cord
A circular saw is designed for cutting dimensional lumber and plywood up to 3 inches thick. While there are many sizes of...
How to Change the Blade on a Ryobi Circular Saw
Ryobi manufactures many types of power tools, outdoor products and painting supplies. Ryobi's line of circular saws are designed to make precision...
How to Change a Saw Blade Porter Cable on a Circular Saw
The circular saw, often called a "skill" saw, after the popular Skil brand, is one of the most versatile of power saws....