Chinese teas deliver high doses of polyphenols, antioxidants that show promise in reducing the risk for a range of diseases and cancers, but manufacturers also promote Chinese tea as a weight loss aid. Black, green and oolong teas are all varieties of Chinese tea that have received mixed reviews from scientists regarding their weight loss properties, but incorporating Chinese tea into your healthy lifestyle may be a safe way to supplement your diet with metabolism-boosting compounds to help manage your weight.
Things You'll Need
- Loose leaf Chinese teas (black, white, green and oolong)
- Tea infuser
- Green tea bags
- Tea kettle
- Disposable or refillable water bottles
Consult with a doctor or nutritionist about your diet and lifestyle. Weight loss involves a combination of both healthy diet and exercise. On its own, Chinese tea will not cause weight loss if you engage in an unhealthy or sedentary lifestyle. Doctors will advise you as to the most useful changes your can make in your lifestyle to promote weight loss.
Exchange your regular morning beverage for a cup of hot Chinese black or white tea. Black tea contains natural caffeine that increases energy and mental alertness. Increased energy supports your body through physical tasks so that you can extend your workouts to promote weight loss.
Drink your tea without added milk, cream or sugar. Tea with sugar and cream still delivers antioxidants, but the added calories and fat inhibit weight loss efforts.
Drink 1 cup of brewed green tea at least five and up to eight times per day. A 1999 study published in the "American Journal of Clinical Nutrition" found that drinking at least 5 cups of green tea each day increases the amount of daily caloric expenditure by an average of 80 calories (see Reference 1).
Drink green or black tea prior to your meals. Green and black Chinese tea often act as an appetite suppressant to reduce your overall caloric intake during meals.
Incorporate 1 to 2 cups of Chinese oolong tea into your daily diet. A 2009 study published in the "Chinese Journal of Integrative Medicine" found that daily consumption of oolong tea resulted in preferential fat burning and decreased body fat content by increasing metabolism (see Reference 2).
Brew approximately five green tea bags to 1 qt. water. Chill the tea. Distribute the chilled tea into two to three empty water bottles. Keep the bottles in the refrigerator and drink them during a daily workout or walking routine. The caffeine will sustain your energy while you fill your daily green tea quota.
Tips & Warnings
- Green tea supplements also help deliver high doses of health-supporting antioxidants but the evidence of their weight loss capabilities is less established than brewed tea.
- Loose leaf and bagged Chinese teas are equally beneficial in terms of supporting weight loss efforts.
- Slimming or weight loss teas may include ingredients like aloe and senna that promote weight loss by acting as laxatives. Ingesting these ingredients in high doses can cause dehydration or illness.
- "American Journal of Clinical Nutrition"; Efficacy of a Green Tea Extract Rich in Catechin Polyphenols and Caffeine in Increasing 24-h Energy Expenditure and Fat Oxidation in Humans; A.G. Dulloo; 1999
- "Chinese Journal of Integrative Medicine"; Beneficial Effects of Oolong Tea Consumption on Diet-induced Overweight and Obese Subjects; R.R. He et al.; March 2009
- United States Department of Agriculture Agricultural Research Service: Brewing Up the Latest Tea Research
- Medline Plus: Black Tea
- National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine: Green Tea
- University of Maryland Medical Center: Green Tea
- Photo Credit blue cup and tea from a blue tea-pot image by Maria Brzostowska from Fotolia.com
How to Lose Weight With Tea
Tea isn't a weight-loss miracle beverage, but regularly drinking certain types of tea in place of other, higher calorie beverages as part...
How to Lose Weight Drinking Oolong Tea -- Chinese Diet Tea
If you're looking for a little extra something to help you on your weight loss diet, it may be as simple as...