Linseed oil is a natural oil that comes from flax seed. It offers preserving properties as well as water resistance, which makes it an effective option for wood, concrete, varnishes, stains and putties. Mixing linseed oil to create a putty allows you to carry out general home repairs such as filling in floors, glazing windows and filling holes.
Things You'll Need
- 80 lbs. dry whiting, bolted
- 20 lbs. white lead, dry
- 10 lbs. raw linseed oil
- 5 lbs. grinding Japan drier
- Paint stick
- Scraping knife
- Sandpaper (optional)
- Protective eyewear
Combine 80 lbs. bolted dry whiting, 20 lbs. dry white lead, 10 lbs. raw linseed oil and 5 lbs. grinding Japan drier in a bucket.
Mix the ingredients together with a paint stick until you have an even, well-blended putty. To make it softer, add more oil.
Apply the putty to home repairs such as floor cracks with a scraping knife. Press it into place properly, and fill cracks adequately.
Tips & Warnings
- Once it dries, the putty should become extremely hard in approximately two days (but it may take longer). Only once it has dry you can sand down putty with sandpaper to make it more neat.
- You cannot store this putty, as it will eventually harden.
- Take care when handling the ingredients. Wear gloves, a mask over your nose and mouth, and protective eyewear to avoid inhaling anything or getting it in your eyes.
- If you do not like how the putty looks, change it or fix it before it dries and hardens.
- If any eye contact occurs, immediately wash your eyes and, if necessary, seek medical attention.
- Photo Credit wood image by Zbigniew Nowak from Fotolia.com
How to Make Concrete Sealer from Linseed Oil
It's not hard to make and use a linseed oil solution to seal your concrete driveway or sidewalk -- some people prefer...
How to Make Plumber's Putty
Plumber's putty is designed to be used on pipes to create a watertight seal. It is a pliable substance that can be...
How to Restore Dry Window Sills With Linseed Oil
Sunlight, moisture and dry conditions can sap the moisture from wood window sills, leaving them dull, rough and damaged. Although a treatment...
How to Make Stained Glass Window Putty
Stained glass window putty is used in lead came windows to help seal the window against the weather, protect the glass from...
How to Make Homemade Window Glass Putty
Window glass putty is used in a variety of window pane and frame applications. It can be used like a sealant caulk...