While in-ground pool owners have their own set of maintenance woes to contend with, the above-ground pool crowd sometimes battles with bacteria and fungus caused by close proximity to soil. When soil fungus penetrates a pool's liner, it forms unsightly, shadowy gray spots immune to typical algaecides. To fight swimming pool fungus, owners must tackle the pool's liner or go straight to the source of the problem--the soil surrounding the pool--armed with bleach or copper iron sulfate.
Things You'll Need
- Household chlorine bleach
- Garden sprayer
- New pool liner
- Copper iron sulfate
- Lawn sprinklers
Drain the pool completely.
Combine a solution of one-half household chlorine bleach and one-half water in a garden sprayer.
Mist the entire floor of the pool with the sprayer.
Take a breather and mist the floor with the bleach solution three more times, taking breaks between each application to rest your lungs from inhaling bleach.
Allow the bleach to rest for several hours after the last application. This allows the ground under the pool--the source of the fungus--to absorb the solution.
Drop the new liner into the pool and refill as usual.
Copper Iron Sulfate
Purchase about 12 to 15 lbs. of copper iron sulfate (FeSO4) powder from your local nursery or garden store. This amount should serve a typical 18-by-36-foot above-ground swimming pool.
Sprinkle the copper iron sulfate powder on the ground around the entire perimeter of the pool.
Target the soil infused with copper iron sulfate with lawn sprinklers regularly for three straight days.
Allow the FeSO4 to penetrate the soil. This process may take up to two weeks before it changes the soil's pH level, eliminating fungus in the soil and pool.
Tips & Warnings
- Don't leave your swimming pool drained for long periods of time, as this may lead to damage of the pool's walls and frame.
- Check the pool's metal parts regularly for signs of corrosion. Correct corrosion with touch-up paint.
- Wear eye protection, a face mask and gloves when working with bleach or copper iron sulfate. Use caution when applying copper iron sulfate around delicate flowers or pets.
- Photo Credit Jupiterimages/Comstock/Getty Images
How to Use Peroxide Instead of Chlorine in a Swimming Pool
Chlorine used as a disinfectant in swimming pools can be toxic to humans, causing many to look for alternative means of sterilization....
How to Eliminate Fungus From the Body
Fungus has become common in today’s world. It takes the shape of the mold found in our homes. It makes itself at...
How to Kill Ground Fungus
Outdoor plants don't always have an easy time of it, and they often have to contend with a variety of challenges that...
How to Get Rid of Water Mold in a Pool
White water mold is a common mold found in swimming pools. It forms when the pool water is improperly maintained and poorly...
How to Remove Copper & Iron From Pool Water
Having your own swimming pool provides fun and recreation right in your own backyard, but having a pool also brings maintenance issues....
Effects of Copper Sulfate on Plants
Copper sulfate is commonly used in gardening and agriculture as a fungicide and fertilizer. Used in the correct concentrations, copper sulfate prevents...