Cats mark their territory with urine for a variety of reasons, including medical issues, stress, or conflicts with other cats in the household, according to Pet Place. Unfortunately, this leaves an unpleasant, strong odor of urine in your home. To remove this unpleasant odor and the bacteria that thrive in it, use Nature's Miracle, a natural, enzymatic cleaner produced by 8 in 1 (a division of Spectrum Brands). The nontoxic enzymes contained in this cleaner digest the odor-causing components of cat urine to eliminate it and its odor.
Things You'll Need
- Wet/dry vacuum (optional)
- Paper towels
Wipe up as much of the cat urine you can with an absorbent cloth or paper towels. For fabrics or carpeting, press down on the cloth to mop up as much of the liquid as you can. Replace the cloth with a fresh one and mop up the urine once more.
Douse the area with warm water, let it sit for a few minutes, then wipe up the water with an absorbent cloth or paper towel. You can also use a wet/dry vacuum to soak up the water from upholstery or carpets. Repeat this procedure once again. Do this for older stains as well. This removes as much of the urine as possible. Do not wait for the area to dry.
Spray the stain or area with Nature's Miracle. Saturate fabrics, upholstery or carpet with the cleaner and allow it to dry. Deep carpet stains will need complete saturation with Nature's Miracle to allow it to seep into the carpet padding and sub-flooring. For wood, tile or grout, spray the area liberally and let it air-dry or wipe up the excess. The enzymes will naturally digest and neutralize the urine and its odor. Allow the areas to dry for up to two weeks. Odor may remain during this time as the enzymes still work on eliminating the urine.
Re-saturate the area with Nature's Miracle after waiting for the area to dry completely from the initial application to remove any lingering odors, stains or bacteria. Allow this to dry for another two weeks.
Clean cat litter boxes with Nature's Miracle to remove any urine odors from the box. Empty the box of litter, spray it with Nature's Miracle, scrub with a scrub brush, and rinse it.
Spray areas you suspect your cat has urinated on in the past with Nature's Miracle. This will remove any possible remaining odors and prevent your cat from re-marking the areas. You can also spray pet bedding with Nature's Miracle and let it dry to remove odors. Nature's Miracle works on any organic stains or odors from your cat and you can use it safely around them.
Wash pet bedding, slipcovers, clothing and drapes in the washing machine with 2 cups Nature's Miracle cleaner instead of laundry detergent. Use the cold water setting. Allow the items to air-dry if possible, since heat can weaken the enzymatic action of Nature's Miracle.
Mop floors with a solution of one part Nature's Miracle and one part water to eliminate urine odors from tile and wood.
Tips & Warnings
- For older stains, scrub them with a scrub brush when applying Nature's Miracle to remove stubborn, set-in stains and odors.
- Discourage cats from going near spots saturated with Nature's Miracle while drying, as they may re-mark them during the drying period. Place aluminum foil on or around the spot to discourage this.
- Nature's Miracle makes a cat-specific version of their product to treat cat urine called "Just for Cats."
- While you can use Nature's Miracle safely around cats and to clean bedding, never spray it directly on your cat. Nature's Miracle does make a pet-wipe safe for use on cats.
- Do not use Nature's Miracle on leather.
- Test Nature's Miracle on a small portion of carpeting, fabrics or upholstery to ensure the colorfastness of the item.
- Do not use Nature's Miracle in a steam cleaner as it will weaken the enzymes. Instead, use the Nature's Miracle product specially formulated for steam cleaners.
- Photo Credit cat image by Pavel Vlasov from Fotolia.com
How to Use Nature's Miracle
Nature's Miracle Stain & Odor Remover is a brand of enzyme-based cleaner that guarantees permanent removal of stains and odors. It is...