How to Get a License to Be a Sports Agent

Sports agents who land the big contract can strike it rich.
Sports agents who land the big contract can strike it rich. (Image: Jupiterimages/ Images)

A career as a sports agent can be quite lucrative. Sports agents are paid a commission based on the amount of money they can secure for their clients. According to PayScale, the average salary for sports agents nationwide was approximately $60,000 as of January 2011. The sports agent industry is highly competitive and licensing is determined by the state in which you work. Licensing requirements are typically simple, but you need extensive education and training also to be successful.

Pursue a bachelor's degree in sports management, marketing or business. Although there are no universal formal education requirements to work as a sports agent, you can increase the likelihood of getting hired to work as an agent if you have the appropriate education. A master's degree in one of these fields can also be helpful in this respect. Some states can deny your application if they deem that you do not have the appropriate background to qualify as a sports agent. A combination of education and experience can help meet most states' requirements.

Complete an internship with a sports representation agency. This will give you an opportunity to network and learn from other professionals in the field. It will also give you the opportunity to gain some of the necessary experience to meet licensing requirements.

Submit an application for a sports agent license in the states in which you plan on representing clients. Apply for your license before you officially represent any clients. In some states it is a crime to provide representation without obtaining a license first. Some states require that you simply submit a licensing fee and an application. The application requires that you submit information regarding your previous five years of work experience, your formal training as an agent, practical experience as an agent, educational background, references and criminal history. The application must be notarized and sent to the Department of State.

Related Searches


Promoted By Zergnet


Related Searches

Check It Out

Are You Really Getting A Deal From Discount Stores?

Is DIY in your DNA? Become part of our maker community.
Submit Your Work!