If you need to verify whether a money order was cashed, you'll need the purchase receipt or the money order serial number. There's a standard procedure for tracing money orders -- both nationally and internationally -- although variations in the procedure exist among issuers.
You can buy money orders from your local bank, grocery and convenience stores, Western Union, MoneyGram and the United States Post Office.
Go to the issuer's website, agent location, office or branch for the proper form. For example:
- Western Union requires you to complete the Money Order Customer Request form available online or at an agent location.
- MoneyGram money orders can be traced by completing the online Money Order Claim Card.
- USPS money order use the Online Money Order Inquiry System. If you prefer to complete a paper form, pick up Form 6401 Money Order Inquiry from your local post office.
- Amscot money order purchasers can complete the Money Order Claim Form.
- Fidelity Express money orders are traceable online using the Money Order Status tool.
- Bank money orders can be traced by contacting the issuing bank.
Complete the form by providing the money order number, your name, address, phone number, money order amount, person the money order was payable to, purchase location and signature. If you're using the online system to track a USPS money order, enter the serial number and submit.
Include the receipt with your form. Verify if the original receipt is required. For example, Western Union requires the original receipt to provide tracking information. Before mailing the original, make a copy for your records.
Enclose a check or money order for the nonrefundable administrative fee. Fees vary among issuers. At the time of publication, USPS doesn't charge for tracking, but the money order replacement fee is $6.10.
Send the form to the address indicated on the form. Requests can take about 30 days to process. If the money order was cashed, you'll receive a photocopy of the money order so you can verify who cashed it. If it wasn't cashed, you'll get a refund.
Money order recipients are required to show proper identification verifying their identity when cashing a money order. If the check was cashed by someone other than the person the money order was payable to, contact the issuer to report fraud.