How to Change Chinese Appliance Plugs to Fit American Outlets


Electricity in the United States is typically 120 volts and utilizes type-A adapter plugs. In China, electricity is generally 220 volts and utilizes either a type-A, type-I or type-G adapter plug. Therefore, to use an appliance from China in an American outlet, you will need to use a voltage converter and possibly an adapter plug.

Things You'll Need

  • 220 volt to 110 volt power converter
  • Type-I or type-G to type-A adapter plug
  • Determine the type of plug on the Chinese appliance. If the appliance has a type-I or type-G plug, plug the appliance into a type-A outlet adapter. If your Chinese appliance has a type-A plug, no adapter is needed.

  • Plug the Chinese appliance with the attached adapter, if necessary, into a 220 volt to 110 volt power converter.

  • Plug the power converter into a U.S. outlet.

  • Turn the power converter on. Your Chinese appliance will now work with a standard American outlet.

Related Searches


Promoted By Zergnet


You May Also Like

Related Searches

Check It Out

22 DIY Ways to Update Your Home on a Small Budget

Is DIY in your DNA? Become part of our maker community.
Submit Your Work!