Clogged toilets are no fun to think about, much less trying to correct. One way to unclog a toilet is to use liquid, whether a home mixture or one purchased from a store. A little planning and preparation can help you tackle this unsightly project and rid your toilet of the clog. If you know what has clogged the toilet, this can help you plan your strategy by using an appropriate liquid.
Things You'll Need
- Mild detergent
Lay towels around the toilet in anticipation of splashing water.
Mix a mild detergent that breaks up grease or dirt with some warm water. Use 1 tbsp. of liquid detergent for every quart of water.
Pour the mixture into the toilet slowly. Make sure the water does not begin to spill over the side.
Plunge the toilet with the plunger a few times--pushing up and down in short strokes--to help the solution get down into the pipes. Wait for the water to begin leaving the toilet bowl. Flush the toilet as the water level goes down.
Tips & Warnings
- While you can substitute the home mixture with a toilet clog removal product from a supermarket or home improvement store, the website Family Handyman recommends not using chemicals in the toilet.
- Try cleaning the clog at night, when the toilet will receive less use. This allows the detergent solution more time to break up the clog and other gunk in the plumbing.
- "The Complete Photo Guide to Homeowner Basics"; Black & Decker; 2008
- "Big Book of Home How-To"; Better Homes and Gardens; 2003
- The Family Handyman: Fix a Clogged Toilet
- Photo Credit Hemera Technologies/PhotoObjects.net/Getty Images
About Drain Uncloggers
When faced with a clogged or slow drain in your home, you have a few options. Some require the use of chemicals...
How to Unclog Drains Without Liquid Plumber or Drain-o
Drains become clogged by numerous things that fall into them. Often, it is just a build of of general "muck" that causes...
How to Unclog a Toilet Without Snaking
A blockage somewhere in the toilet can cause the water in the bowl to overflow onto your bathroom floor. Quickly turn off...
Products to Unclog the Toilet
Unclogging a toilet can be a messy business unless you know the best methods to get tough clogs out without flooding the...
Is There a Safe Liquid to Put in a Clogged Toilet?
Clogged toilets are frustrating to unclog. Homeowners possessing only one bathroom are especially at a disadvantage as they are without a facility...
How to Unclog a Toilet
A clogged toilet often can be cleared in a few simple steps. Give these a try before you call in the pros....