There are so many ways to decorate your home for Christmas, but the way you choose to decorate comes down to personal style and taste. If you're looking for a cozy holiday, an old-fashioned country Christmas might be just what you need. Nothing brings back Christmas memories better than decorating the house in an old-fashioned style, the way Grandma used to. Decorating in old-fashioned country holiday decor is not a difficult task, all you need are a few simple decorations.
Things You'll Need
- Red and green fabric
- Old-fashioned quilts and stockings
- Candle holders
- Pine cones and mistletoe
- Candy canes or Christmas cookies
Wrap a bit of bright ribbon around a door handle or tie some into a bow on wreaths hung around the house. Drape fabric over the back of chairs and couches. Use ribbon and Christmas-colored fabric to highlight spaces that are usually ignored and left empty, such as corners and shelves, as well as to tie back curtains or drapes.
Place candles in glass, silver or crystal candle holders around your home, as these highlight and work with light, catching and throwing it around the room. Candles of all sorts create a comfortable atmosphere, even if the colors and sizes don't match. Light candles if desired or use for decoration only.
Hang Christmas quilts as large decorative pieces on the walls or drape them over furniture and tables.
Place candy canes, gingerbread men, cookies, gingerbread houses, popcorn, cranberry strands and vintage holiday knick-knacks around the house as well as on the tree. Combine several decorations together in baskets around the house, not only on tables but also in window sills, on the floor next to small side tables and on shelves.
Display seasonal plants and greenery throughout your home to create a country Christmas look. Pine cones, branches, ivy, poinsettias and mistletoe can transform a room through sight and smell. Avoid fake or artificial plants as they are anything but "old-fashioned."
Tips & Warnings
- Bring out blankets, food tins, plates and other Christmas items with holiday themes you have packed away and display them with the rest of the decorations for everyone to see.
- Be careful not to go overboard with your decorations. Don't clutter the room. Also, don't be afraid to mix decorations ranging in holiday colors, as this is characteristic of the country Christmas style.
- As always, if you are going to be lighting your decorative candles, keep flammable decorations a good distance away at all times.