A toaster oven fire can spread quickly from the appliance to the rest of your kitchen or home. Knowing how to extinguish small kitchen fires can save lives and avert property damage. To help prevent fires, regularly clean your toaster oven to keep it free of crumbs that might catch on fire. If your toaster oven does go up in flames, do not attempt to put out the fire with water; doing so can result in shock or electrocution.
Things You'll Need
- Class C fire extinguisher
- Baking soda
Close the toaster oven door and unplug the cord from the outlet, if you can do so safely.
Pull the pin on the fire extinguisher, if necessary. Aim the extinguisher at the base of the flames, and spray with a sweeping, side-to-side motion.
Toss handfuls of baking soda at the base of the flames if you do not have a fire extinguisher. When heated, baking soda releases carbon dioxide, which will help smother the fire.
Tips & Warnings
- Immediately call 911 if the fire has spread to other areas of the kitchen.
- Never use an APW fire extinguisher — which contains air-pressurized water — to put out an electrical fire.
- Do not touch or move your toaster oven until it has cooled thoroughly.
- Keep your toaster oven and cord away from the stove or other sources of heat. Heat can melt the cord insulation, which can expose wires and start an electrical fire.
- Do not leave food cooking in a toaster oven unattended, even for a few minutes.
- Photo Credit oven temperature control in red image by laurent dambies from Fotolia.com
How to Put Out an Electrical Fire
Use a type C fire extinguisher to put out an electrical fire. If the fire continues to spread, call the fire department.
How to Put Out a Grease Fire
Don't be caught unprepared when cooking in the kitchen. If you are working with grease or oil, it is critical that you...
How to Put Out an Electric Oven Heating Element That Catches on Fire
The kitchen is often thought of as the heart of the home. Everybody seems to end up there, even dinner guests. But...
Fire Dangers of Toasters
Many are as lost without their morning toast as they are without coffee. The warm, crispy buttery bread is a breakfast staple...
Tips on Putting Out Fires Without an Extinguisher
If you are safety conscious in your home, you likely have at least one fire extinguisher in your home to deal with...
Toaster Oven Fire Prevention
Keeping your toaster oven from catching fire starts when you are deciding which model to buy. Certain safety features help keep the...