Most people would love to have their own pool, even if only to cool off during the hot summer months. The problem is that many cannot afford their own full-size pool. And even if you get a small pool, it requires upkeep and usually needs to be stored during the winter. One solution is to use a horse trough, which is also known as a livestock tank. They're easy to find, cheap, will stay around for years, and have multiple uses if you decide to no longer use them as pools.
Things You'll Need
- Water hose
Prepare a level area for your horse trough (livestock tank) to sit.
Place the horse trough on the newly leveled area.
Ensure that the drain plug at the base of the trough is screwed in tightly.
Use the water hose to fill the trough with water until it is approximately six inches from the top of the trough.
Tips & Warnings
- A livestock tank is circular and six to eight feet in diameter. This is most likely what you want to use. A horse trough is usually oval shaped and much smaller.
- Applying silicon caulk to the plug will help prevent leaks.
- Sand is the easiest material to level for use under the trough.
- Horse troughs can be slippery on the bottom. Applying no-slip bath treads could help.
- Horse troughs are two feet deep at the most and should only be used for wading.
- Photo Credit paint drinking water image by Photoeyes from Fotolia.com
How to Clean a Horse's Water Trough
A dirty water trough can transfer parasites like strongyloides, strongyles, and pinworns from one horse to another. Regular cleaning of your horse's...
How to Stop Algae Growth in Livestock Water Troughs
Watering troughs are a very important aspect to keeping livestock. For horses, cows, goats, pigs, sheep and any other live animal out...
How to Make a Water Trough Out of Wood
Water troughs were traditionally constructed out of wood. More recently, troughs are made out of galvanized metal, stainless steel or some form...
DIY Water Feature on a Budget
Adding a water feature to your yard or garden isn't out of your reach just because you're on a budget. Old pots...
How to Build a Livestock Water Trough
Water is essential to the well-being of livestock. In some cases, the right amount of water can improve milk and beef production....
What Is an Infinity Swimming Pool?
There's scarcely a homeowner that hasn't at least briefly thought about how nice an inground pool would look in her back yard....